The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Acton, of Aldenham, co. Shropshire (E Baronet, 1643/4)
Creation: let.pat. 17 Jan 1643/4
Family name: Acton later Dalberg-Acton later Lyon-Dalberg-Acton
See Baron Acton
Sir Edward Acton, 1st Bt.
son and heir of Walter Acton, of Aldenham Hall and Acton Scott, co. Shropshire, by his wife and cousin Frances Acton, dau. and hrss. of Edward Acton, of Acton Scott, co. Shropshire
20 Jul 1600
1624 Sarah Mytton (d. 30 Sep 1677), dau. of Richard Mytton, of Halston, co. Shropshire, by his wife Margaret Owen, dau. of Thomas Owen, a Justice of the King's Bench
1. Sir Walter Acton, 2nd Bt.
2. Thomas Acton, of Gatacre Park, co. Shropshire (d. 1677), mar. on or after 10 Dec 1661 Maud Stonor, dau. of Clement Stonor, of London, and had issue
3. William Acton, mar. Mary Weaver, dau. of Arthur Weave, of co. Shropshire, and had issue
4. Richard Acton, a naval officer, mar. Lydia Pearson, and had issue
29 Jun 1659
17 Jan 1643/4 a Baronet of England, styled "of Aldenham, co. Shropshire"
Member of Parliament for Bridgnorth 1640 and 1640-43/4; fined £5,242 (reduced to £2,000) 1649
Sir Walter Acton, 2nd Bt.
Catherine Crescett, dau. of Richard Crescett, of Upton Crescett and Cound, co. Shropshire
1. Sir Edward Acton, 3rd Bt.
2. Walter Acton, a London merchant (d. 11 Mar 1718), mar. 1678 Catherine Pocklington, dau. of Dr Oliver Pocklington, and had issue:
1a. Edward Acton, a London banker (d. 1728), mar. Katherine Steventon, dau. of John Steventon, and had issue:
1b. Edward Acton, of Bosancon, France (b. 11 Jun 1709), mar. Catherine de Gray, dau. of Francis Louis de Gray, of Burgundy, France, and had issue:
1c. Sir John Francis Edward Acton, 6th Bt.
2c. Lieut Gen Joseph Edward Acton, in the service of the King of Naples, Governor of Gaeta (d. 12 Aug 1830), mar. Countess Eleanora Berghe van Tripps, of Dusseldorf, Germany, and had issue:
1d. Charles Acton, Commodore in the Neapolitan Royal Navy (b. 1786; d. Oct 1863), mar. 12 Apr 1817 Countess Zoe d'Albon, and had issue
2d. Capt Henry Acton, mar. 2 Sep 1817 Charlotte Clugston, only dau. of Dr Clugston, of Bombay, and had issue
3d. Lieut Francis Acton (b. 23 Jul 1796; d. 1865). mar. 2 Dec 1820 Esther Baker (widow of William Baker, of Bayfordbury, co. Hertfod), dau. of Robert Fagan, and had issue
1d. Mary Anne Acton (b. 10 Sep 1786; d. 15 Mar 1873), mar. 22 Feb 1800 (papal dispensation) her uncle Sir John Francis Edward Acton, 6th Bt., and had issue
2d. Isabella Acton, mar. 1812 Baron Henry Dachenhausen
3c. Philip Edward Acton, in the French service (b. 1740; dsp. 2 Apr 1820), mar. ..... .....
2b. Capt John Acton, in naval service of HEICS and later Commodore-in-Chief of the German navy in the Adriatic
1b. Katherine Acton, mar. John Darrell, of Richmond, co. Surrey
3. Richard Acton, of London, mar. (1) Anne Llewellyn, and (2) Hester Gibbon (widow of Mathew Gibbon), and had issue
4. William Acton (d. unm.)
5. Robert Acton, of Stepney, co. Middlesex, mar. Hester Coleman, dau. of Francis Coleman, and had issue
6. Thomas Acton, of London, mar. Anne Witherington, of Morpeth, and had issue
1. Frances Acton (d. unm. 1733)
2. Sarah Acton, mar. Thomas Gatacre, of Gatacre, co. Shropshire
3. Elizabeth Acton, mar. (1) John Betkin, and (2) Peter Crouch
4. Catherine Acton, mar. (1) Capt Robert Thomas, and (2) Thomas Evans, of London
Member of Parliament for Bridgnorth 1660
Sir Edward Acton, 3rd Bt.
Mary Walter (bur. at Morville, co. Shropshire)
1. Sir Whitmore Acton, 4th Bt.
2. Edward Acton (dsp.)
3. John Acton DD, mar., and had issue:
1a. Edward Acton, of Acton Scott, co. Shropshire, mar. Anne Gregory, 1st dau. and cohrss. of William Gregory, and had issue:
1b. Theresa Susannah Acton, mar. 21 Apr 1773 John Stackhouse, of Pendarves
28 Sep 1716 (bur. at Morville, co. Shropshire)
Sheriff of Shropshire 1687-85; Member of Parliament for Bridgnorth 1698-1705; Recorder of Bridgnorth 1701
Sir Whitmore Acton, 4th Bt.
Elizabeth Gibbon (bapt. 2 Jan 1680; d. after 1732), dau. of Matthew Gibbon, of Westcliffe, co. Kent, and of Putney, co. Surrey, by his wife Hester .....
1. Sir Richard Acton, 5th Bt.
1. Elizabeth Acton, mar. Robert Barnston
2. ..... Acton
3. Mary Acton, mar. Rev Samuel Wanley DD
8 Jan 1731/2 (bur. at Morville, co. Shropshire)
Member of Parliament for Bridgnorth 1710-13; Sheriff of Shropshire 1727-28
Sir Richard Acton, 5th Bt.
1 Jan 1711/2
21 Sep 1744 Lady Anne Grey (bur. at Acton, co. Shropshire), dau. of Harry [Grey], 3rd Earl of Stamford, by his wife Dorothy Wright, dau. of Rt Hon Sir Nathan Wright, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal
1. Francis Acton (d. unm. 1762)
2. Elizabeth Acton (dsp.), mar. Philip Langdale, of Houghton and Sancton, co. York
s.p.m. 20 Nov 1791 (bur. at Acton, co. Shropshire)
second cousin once removed
Sheriff of Shropshire 1751-52
Sir John Francis Edward Acton, 6th Bt.
3 Jun 1736
22 Feb 1800 (papal dispensation) his niece Mary Anne Acton (b. 10 Sep 1786; d. 15 Mar 1873), 1st dau. of his brother Lt Gen Joseph Edward Acton, Governor of Gaeta, by his wife Countess Eleanora Berghe van Tripps
1. Sir Ferdinand Richard Edward Acton later Dalberg-Acton, 7th Bt. JP DL
2. His Eminence Charles Januarius Edward Acton, Cardinal of Santa Maria della Pace (b. 6 Mar 1803; d. 27 Jun 1847)
1. Elizabeth Acton (d. 4 Apr 1850), mar. 16 Jul 1829 Sir Robert George Throckmorton, 8th Bt., of Coughton Court, co. Warwick, and had issue
12 Aug 1811
served under the King of the Two Sicilies, being Commander-in-Chief of the Land and Sea Forces of Naples, and for several years Prime Minister there
Sir Ferdinand Richard Edward Acton later Dalberg-Acton, 7th Bt., JP DL
24 Jul 1801
9 Jul 1832 Marie Louisa Pellina Dalberg (b. c. 1812; mar. (2) 25 Jul 1840 as his first wife Granville George [Leveson-Gower], 2nd Earl Granville; d. 14 Mar 1860), only child and hrss. of Emmerich Josef Wolfgang Heribert, 1st Duke of Dalberg, by his wife Marie Pellina Thérèse de Brignole-Sale, dau. of the Marquis Brignole-Sale, of Genoa, Italy
1. Sir John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton, 8th Bt. KCVO later 1st Baron Acton
31 Jan 1837
took the name of Dalberg before that of Acton by Royal Licence 1833
Sir John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton, 8th Bt. KCVO later 1st Baron Acton
11 Dec 1869 Baron Acton, of Aldenham in the County of Shropshire
The Baronetcy of Acton, styled "of Aldenham, co. Shropshire", has been held by the Barons Acton since 11 Dec 1869.
Last updated 15 May 2012
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.