The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Beresford-Peirse, of Bagnall, Waterford (UK Baronet, 1814)
Creation: let.pat. 21 May 1814
Family name: Beresford-Peirse
Quarterly: 1st and 4th, Azure a Ducal Coronet between three Cross-Crosslets fitchée Or (Peirse); 2nd and 3rd, Argent semée of Cross-Crosslets fitchée three Fleurs-de-lys two and one Sable within a Bordure wavy Ermines (Beresford)
1st: A Cross-Crosslet fitchée Or surmounted with a Mural Crown Gules (Peirse); 2nd: Out of a Naval Crown Or a Dragon's Head per fess wavy Argent and Gules the lower part of the neck transfixed by a broken Tilting-Spear in bend sinister and in the mouth the remaining part of the Spear point upwards Or (Beresford)
Non Sine Pulvere Palma (The palm is not won without getting one's hands dirty - for Peirse); Nil Nisi Cruce (Nothing is achievable without the Cross - for Beresford)
Admiral Sir John de la Poer Beresford, 1st Bt., KCB GCH KTS MP
illegitimate son of George de la Poer [Beresford], 1st Marquess of Waterford
1 May 1809 Mary Molloy (d. Jul 1813), dau. of Capt Anthony James Pye Molloy RN
only child by first wife
1. Maj Sir George de la Poer Beresford, 2nd Bt.
17 Aug 1815 Harriet Elizabeth Peirse (d. 28 Feb 1825), 3rd dau. of Henry Peirse, of Bedale Hall, co. York
children by second wife
2. Henry William de la Poer Beresford, of Bedale and Hutton Bonville, co. York (b. 27 Sep 1820; d. 24 Jul 1859), mar. 2 Mar 1848 Henrietta Anne Theodosia Monson (d. 28 Oct 1921), only dau. of Rev Hon Thomas Monson, Rector of Bedale, co. York (by his second wife Sarah Wyvill, dau. of Rev Christopher Wyvill, of Constable Burton, co. York), 5th son of John [Monson], 2nd Baron Monson, by his wife Theodosia Maddison, dau. of John Maddison, of Stainton Vale and Stamford, co. Lincoln, and had issue:
1a. Sir Henry Monson de la Poer Beresford, 3rd Bt.
2a. Lt Col William John de la Poer Beresford (b. 8 Nov 1852; d. 1 Sep 1917), mar. 22 Feb 1887 Mary Chambers (d. 27 Nov 1939), dau. of Thomas Chambers, of Aberfoyle, co. Londonderry, and had issue
3a. Rev Windham de la Poer Beresford, Rector of Bedale, co. York 1899-1931 and Hon Canon, Ripon 1921-40 (b. 1 Nov 1858; d. 11 Sep 1940), mar. 17 Jul 18... Ethel Milman Proctor Baker (d. 1 Dec 1948), only dau. of William Proctor Baker, and had issue
1a. Charlotte Grace Beresford (d. 17 Feb 1928), mar. 8 Oct 1874 Capt Maximilian Dudley Digges Dallison (k. in action 20 Mar 1885), and had issue
3. Rev John George de la Poer Beresford, Rector of Bedale, co. York (b. 28 Sep 1821; d. 17 Jul 1899), mar. 3 Feb 1846 Hon Caroline Amelia Denman (b. 26 Aug 1823; d. 23 May 1911), 6th dau. of Thomas [Denman], 1st Baron Denman, by his wife Theodosia Anne Vevers, 1st dau. of Rev Richard Vevers, Rector of Kettering, co. Northampton, and had issue
1. Harriet Charlotte Beresford (d. 1893), mar. 12 Jun 1843 Rev Anthony Hammond, and had issue
2. Georgiana Beresford (d. 7 Sep 1870), mar. 23 Jul 1842 Rt Rev Reginald Courtenay DD, Bishop of Kingston (Jamaica) 1856-79 (b. 26 Feb 1813; d. 13 Apr 1906), 2nd son of Thomas Peregrine Courtenay (by his wife Anne Wynell-Mayow, dau. of Mayow Wynell-Mayow, of Sydenham, co. Kent), younger brother of William [Courtenay], 10th Earl of Devon, and 2nd son Rt Rev Henry Reginald Courtenay DD, Bishop of Exter, by his wife Lady Elizabeth Howard, 1st dau. of Thomas [Howard], 2nd Earl of Effingham, and had issue
3. Marianne Catherine Emily Beresford (d. 14 Apr 1865), mar. 1 Mar 1849 Lt Gen Sir Charles Ash Windham KCB (d. 2 Feb 1870), and had issue
26 May 1836 Amelia Peach (widow of Samuel Peach; d. 17 Dec 1862), 2nd dau. of James Baillie
2 Oct 1844
21 May 1814 a Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Bagnall, Waterford"
son by first wife
Maj Sir George de la Poer Beresford, 2nd Bt.
1 Mar 1811
1 Mar 1846 Elizabeth Lucas (d. 23 Dec 1898), 2nd dau. of Davis Lucas, of Clontibret, co. Monaghan, and Glenalough, co. Galway
1. John Edward Francis de la Poer Beresford (b. 23 Jun 1851; dvp. 1854)
2. William Carr de la Poer Beresford (b. 1858; dvp. 14 May 1870)
1. Mary Beresford (dvp. 1847)
2. Marcia Mary Ann Harriet Wilhelmina de la Poer Beresford (dsp. 29 Jun 1908), mar. 23 Jun 1875 Capt Francis Colebrooke Drummond later Beresford-Drummond (b. 6 Nov 1846; d. 9 Apr 1926), 2nd son of Hon Sir Edmund Drummond KCIE, Auditor-General of India 1856-62 and Lieutenant Governor, North West Province 1863-68 (by his wife Julia Mary Sutherland, dau. of J C C Sutherland, of Calcutta, India), 3rd son of James Andrew John Laurence Charles [Drummond], 6th Viscount of Strathallan
s.p.m.s. 11 Feb 1873
Sir Henry Monson de la Poer Beresford later Beresford-Peirse, 3rd Bt., JP DL
25 Sep 1850
11 Nov 1873 Lady Adelaide Mary Lucy Bernard (d. 29 Sep 1884), 5th dau. of Francis [Bernard], 3rd Earl of Bandon, by his wife Catherine Mary Whitmore, 1st dau. of Thomas Whitmore, of Apley, co. Salop
children by first wife
1. Maj Sir Henry Monson de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 4th Bt.
2. Rev Richard Windham de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, Vicar of Christ Church Lancaster Gate, Rural Dean of Paddington 1930, Vicar of St John Middlesborough (b. 6 Aug 1876; d. 13 Mar 1952), mar. (1) 21 Jul 1910 Lady Lillian Katherine Campbell (b. 13 Jul 1879; d. 2 Jan 1918), 3rd dau. of Frederick Archibald Vaughan [Campbell], 3rd Earl Cawdor, by his wife Edith Georgiana Turnor, 1st dau. of Christopher Turnor, of Stoke Rochford and Panton House, co. Lincoln, by his wife Lady Caroline Finch-Hatton, only dau. by his first wife of George William [Finch-Hatton], 10th Earl of Winchilsea, and (2) 4 Sep 1924 Katherine Mabel Helen Scarlett (d. 25 Jan 1974), 1st dau. of William James Yorke Scarlett, of Fyfield House, Andover, co. Hampshire, and had issue by his first wife
3. Capt Evelyn Francis de la Poer Beresford-Peirse (b. 3 Sep 1877; dsp. 9 Mar 1953), mar. (1) 30 Apr 1912 Marian Annette Owen Kynaston (d. 29 Feb 1944), yst. dau. of Rev Walter Charles Edward Kynaston, and (2) 10 Jan 1946 Elfa Oliver Kynaston, dau. of James Loftus Owen
4. Ernest Arthur de la Poer Beresford-Peirse (b. 2 Oct 1879; d. 16 May 1961)
5. Rev John William de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, Assistant Priest St Augustine's Hull, Hon Chaplain to the Bishop of Kimberley, Assistant Priest Kimberley Cathedral 1915-36 (b. 12 Jun 1883; d. 31 Jan 1956)
1. Sybil Georgiana Mary Beresford-Peirse (b. 13 Oct 1878; dvp. 9 Dec 1893)
2. Ethel Mary Beresford-Peirse (b. 18 May 1881)
23 Jan 1886 Henrietta Smith-Dodsworth OBE (d. 1 Nov 1926), only dau. of Sir Matthew Smith-Dodsworth, 4th Bt., of Newland Park and Thornton Watlass, co. York, by his wife Anne Julia Crowder, dau. of Col ..... Crowder KH, of Brotherton, co. York
only child by second wife
3. Dorothy Harriet Julia Beresford-Peirse (b. 3 Jul 1894), mar. 8 Jun 1922 Cdr Geoffrey Thomas Wright RN, and had issue
8 Jul 1926
son by first wife
Maj Sir Henry Bernard de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 4th Bt., DSO JP
9 Jan 1875
7 Jul 1904 Lady Lillian Katherine Campbell JP (b. 24 Feb 1876; d. 13 Jan 1966), 3rd dau. of Frederick Archibald Vaughan [Campbell], 3rd Earl Cawdor, by his wife Edith Georgiana Turnor, 1st dau. of Christopher Turnor, of Stoke Rochford and Panton House, co. Lincoln, by his wife Lady Caroline Finch-Hatton, only dau. by his first wife of George William [Finch-Hatton], 10th Earl of Winchilsea
1. Maj Sir Henry Campbell de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 5th Bt. CB
2. Rev Peter de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, Vicar of Overbury 1948-54, Rector of Richmond-on-Swale 1954-62 and of Tilehurst 1962 (b. 27 Aug 1907; d. 1984), mar. 26 Nov 1940 Muriel Griffiths (d. 1 Aug 1997), dau. of Joseph Griffiths, and had issue
14 May 1949
Maj Sir Henry Campbell de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 5th Bt., CB
24 Apr 1905
19 Apr 1932 Margaret Grant JP (d. 1 Feb 1995), 4th dau. of Frank Morrison Seafield Grant, of Knockie, Whitebridge, co. Inverness
1. Sir Henry Grant de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 6th Bt.
2. John David de la Poer Beresford-Peirse (b. 10 Oct 1937; dvp. 5 Jun 1961)
11 Aug 1972
Sir Henry Grant de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 6th Bt.
7 Feb 1933
13 Aug 1966 Jadranka Njers, dau. of Ivan Njers, of Zagreb, Croatia
1. Sir Henry Njers de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 7th Bt.
2. John de la Poer Beresford-Peirse (b. 27 Jun 1973)
24 Jan 2013
Sir Henry Nijers de la Poer Beresford-Peirse, 7th Bt.
25 Mar 1969
Joanna M Tamlyn, dau. of Johnson Tamlyn, by his wife Susannah Rowan, dau. of Sir Thomas Leslie Rowan KCB CVO
1. Harry de la Poer Beresford-Peirse (b. 23 Feb 2007)
2. Alfred de la Poer Beresford-Peirse (b. 22 Oct 2008)
1. Martha de la Poer Beresford-Peirse (b. 4 Dec 2011)
Last updated 21 May 2013
Bedale Manor, Bedale, North Yorkshire DL8 1EP
34 Cadogan Square, London SW1X 0JL
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.