The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Birdwood, Baron (UK, 1938)
Creation: let. pat. 25 Jan 1938
Family name: Birdwood
Azure five Martlets two two and one within an Inescutcheon voided a representation of the Southern Cross all Argent
Out of a Mural Crown Gules a Martlet Argent between two Branches of Laurel proper
Dexter: a Sergeant of the XIIth (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers mounted on a Bay Horse; Sinister: a Sikh Daffadar of the XIth (Prince of Wales's Own) Bengal Lancers mounted on a Chestnut Horse, both habited and accoutred proper
In Bello Quies (Calm in action)
William Riddell [Birdwood], 1st Baron Birdwood, GCB GCSI GCMG GCVO CIE DSO
1st son of Herbert Mills Birdwood CSI, Judge of the High Court, Bombay, by his wife Edith Marion Sidonie Impey, 1st dau. of Surg-Maj Elijah George Halhed Impey, Postmaster of Bombay, by his wife Jane Ann Riddell, 4th dau. of Thomas Riddell, of Camieston
13 Sep 1865
5 Apr 1894 Janetta Hope Gonville Bromhead CI (d. 14 Nov 1947), 1st dau. of Col Sir Benjamin Parnell Bromhead, 4th Bt. CB, by his wife Hannah Smith, dau. of Rev James Smith
1. Hon Christopher Bromhead Birdwood, later 1st Baron Birdwood
1. Hon Constance Jean Gonville Birdwood (d. 19 Oct 1975), mar. 5 Mar 1919 Frank Colin Craig (d. Sep 1951), son of Frank Craig, of Perth, Western Australia, Australia, and had issue
2. Hon Judith Horatia Birdwood, mar. (1) 1 Sep 1939 (div. 1947) Roger William Colville-Wallis (d. 28 Mar 1959), only son of Rev William Colville-Wallis, of St Agnes Vicarage, Newmarket, co. Suffolk, and (2) 23 Oct 1947 Rudolph Putnam Messel (d. 3 May 1958), only son of Harold George Messel
17 May 1951
6 Oct 1919 Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Anzac and Totnes"
25 Jan 1938 Baron Birdwood, of Anzac and of Totnes in the County of Devon
Christopher Bromhead [Birdwood], 2nd Baron Birdwood, MVO
22 May 1899
7 Mar 1931 (div. 1954) Elizabeth Vere Drummond Ogilvie CVO (d. 1 May 1997), only dau. of Lt Col Sir George Drummond Ogilvie KCIE CSI
children by first wife
1. Hon Mark William Ogilvie Birdwood, later 3rd Baron Birdwood
1. Hon Sonia Gina Ogilvie Birdwood (b. 25 Nov 1933; d. 2 Sep 2006), mar. 21 Jul 1956 Geoffrey Thynne Valentine Archer, yst. son of Maj Gerald Valentine Archer, of High Salvington, co. Sussex, and had issue
22 Feb 1954 Joan Pollock Graham (d. 28 Jun 2000), 2nd dau. of Christopher Norman Graham, of Ealing, London, by his wife Ada Ruth Pollock
5 Jan 1962
son by first wife
Mark William Ogilvie [Birdwood], 3rd Baron Birdwood
23 Nov 1938
27 Apr 1963 Judith Helen Roberts, 1st dau. of Reginald Gordon Seymour Roberts, of Newton Aycliffe, co. Durham
1. Hon Sophie Frederika Birdwood (b. 29 Jul 1964), mar. (1) 1987 (div. 1997) Simon Frederick [Marquis], 3rd Earl of Woolton, and (2) 1998 David John Montgomery, and has issue by her first husband
There is no heir to the Barony of Birdwood.
Last updated 26 Oct 2006
3rd Baron Birdwood, of Anzac and of Totnes in the County of Devon
(United Kingdom, let. pat. 25 Jan 1938)
3rd Baronet, styled "of Anzac and Totnes"
(United Kingdom, let. pat. 6 Oct 1919)
5 Holbein Mews, London SW1W 8NW
Russell House, Broadway, Worcestershire WR12 7BU
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.