The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Boteler of Brantfield, Baron (E, 1628 - 1647)
Creation: let.pat. 30 Jul 1628
Family name: Boteler
Gules a Fess counter compony Argent and Sable between six Crosses Pattée fitchée Argent
John [Boteler], 1st Baron Boteler of Brantfield
son and heir of Sir Henry Boteler, of Hatfield Woodhall and Brantfield, co. Hertford, by his 1st wife Catharine Waller, dau. of Sir Robert Waller, of Hadley, co. Middlesex
bef. 1609 Elizabeth Villiers, half-sister of George [Villiers], 1st Duke of Buckingham, and 1st dau. of Sir George Villiers, of Brokesby, co. Leicester, by his first wife Audrey Saunders, dau. and hrss. of William Saunders, of Harrington, co. Northampton
1. Sir Henry Boteler (dvp.)
2. Hon William Boteler, later 2nd Baron Boteler of Brantfield
1. Hon Audrey Boteler (d. 16 Sep 1652), mar. (1) Sir Francis Anderson, and (2) c. 1617 as his second wife Francis [Leigh], 1st Earl of Chichester, and had issue by both husbands
2. Hon Helen Boteler (d. 2 Oct 1666), mar. 18 May 1616 Sir John Drake, of Ash, co. Devon, and had issue
3. Hon Jane Boteler (bur.sp. 28 Mar 1672), mar. (1) 4 Jul 1621 as his third wife James [Ley], 1st Earl of Marlborough, and (2) 1629 Maj Gen William Ashburnham MP, Cofferor of the Household (dsp. 1679), 2nd son of Sir John Ashburnham, of Ashburnham, co. Sussex, by his wife Elizabeth Beaumont, dau. of Sir Thomas Beaumont, of Stoughton, co. Leicester
4. Hon Olive Boteler (d. 13 Dec 1663), mar. c. 1620 Endymion Porter, Groom of the Bedchamber to King Charles I, and had issue
5. Hon Mary Boteler (bur. 30 Jan 1633/4), mar. 30 Nov 1623 Edward [Howard], 1st Baron Howard of Escrick, and had issue
6. Hon Anne Boteler (d. 26 May 1669), mar. (1) 7 Feb 1626/7 Mountjoy [Blount], 1st Earl of Newport, and (2) 1667 Thomas [Weston], 4th Earl of Portland, and had issue by her first husband
27 May 1637
12 Apr 1620 a Baronet of England, styled "of Hatfield Woodhall, co. Hertford"
30 Jul 1628 Baron Boteler of Brantfield, of Brantfield in the County of Hertford
knighted 1607; Member of Parliament for Hertfordshire 1625-26
William [Boteler], 2nd Baron Boteler of Brantfield
found by the IPM into his father's death to have been an idiot from birth
On the death of the 2nd Baron Boteler of Brantfield the Barony of Boteler of Brantfield and the 1620 Baronetcy both became extinct.
First written 17 Aug 2006
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.