The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to develop and expand Cracroft's Peerage?
Brooke, of Colebrooke, Co. Fermanagh (UK Baronet, 1822)
Creation: let.pat. 7 Jan 1822
Family name: Brooke
Gules on a Chevron Argent three Bars gemel Sable
Sir Henry Brooke, 1st Bt.
1st son and heir of Francis Brooke, of Whitbrooke, co. Fermanagh (by his wife Hannah Prittie, sister of Henry [Prittie], 1st Baron Dunalley, and dau. of Henry Prittie MP, of Dunalley, co. Tipperary), younger brother of Rt Hon Sir Arthur Brooke, 1st and last Bt. MP, of Colebrooke, co. Fermanagh, and 2nd son of Henry Brooke MP, of Colebrooke, co. Fermanagh, by his wife Lettice Burton, dau. of Benjamin Burton, Lord Mayor of Dublin
10 May 1770
1792 Harriet Butler, 2nd dau. of Hon John Butler MP, Joint Clerk of the Pipe (by his wife ..... Harris, widow of ..... Harris), son of Brinsley [Butler], 1st Viscount Lanesborough, by his wife Catharine Pooley, dau. and cohrss. of Neville Pooley, of Dublin, barrister-at-law
1. Lieut Francis Brooke (b. 1794; killed v.p. at the Battle of Waterloo 1815)
2. Henry Brooke (dvp. young)
3. Sir Arthur Brinsley Brooke, 2nd Bt.
4. Rev Butler Brooke, Rector of Ahavea, Brookeborough, co. Fermanagh (dsp. 14 Nov 1869), mar. 1834 Letitia Jane Archdale, dau. of Edward Archdale, of Riversdale, co. Fernanagh
5. Maj Gen Edward Basil Brooke, Commander-in-Chief of the British forces in the West Indies (dsp. 1 Dec 1868), mar. Caroline Henchy, dau. of Dr P Fitzgibbon Henchy
6. Richard Brooke later Howard-Brooke, of Castle Howard, co. Wicklow, and Rockleton, Queen's County, barrister (b. 1801; d. 6 Apr 1877), mar. 3 Jun 1837 Frances Caroline Hamilton (d. 18 Sep 1876), sister of James Hans Hamilton MP, of Abbotstown, and 3rd dau. of Capt Hans Hamilton MP, of Sheephill, co. Dublin, by his second wife Anne Mitchell, dau. of Hugh Henry Mitchell MP, of Glasnevin, Dublin,and had issue
7. Thomas Brooke, an Army Officer (dvp. 1803)
8. George Augustus Frederick Brooke DL, of Ashbrooke, co. Fermanagh (b. 1805; d. 20 Feb 1874), mar. 25 Apr 1833 Lady Arabella Georgina Hastings (d. 29 Jan 1899), 3rd dau. of Hans Francis [Hastings], 12th Earl of Huntingdon, by his first wife Frances Cobb, 3rd dau. of Rev Richard Chaloner Cobb, Rector of Great Marlow, co. Buckingham, and had issue
1. Maria Brooke (d. 18 Jul 1838), mar. 1817 William D'Arcy Irvine, of Castle Irvine, co. Fermanagh (d. 23 Jun 1857), and had issue
2. Harriet Elizabeth Brooke (d. 1879), mar. 1845 Rev Guy Percival L'Estrange, Rector of Rathangan, co. Kildare
24 Mar 1834
7 Jan 1822 a Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Colebrooke, co. Fermanagh"
Sir Arthur Brinsley Brooke, 2nd Bt.
15 Dec 1841 Hon Julia Henrietta Anson, Maid-of-Honour to Queen Victoria (d. 27 Dec 1886), yst. dau. of Gen Sir George Anson GCB MP, Equerry to HRH the Duchess of Kent, Groom of the Bedchamber to Prince Albert, and Governor of Chelsea Hospital (by his wife Francis Hamilton, sister of Sir Frederick Hamilton, 5th Bt., and 2nd dau. of Capt John Hamilton, Under Secretary-at-War for Ireland, by his wife Mary Anne St George, dau. of Richard St George, of Kilrush, co. Kilkenny), younger brother of Thomas [Anson], 1st Viscount Anson, and 2nd son of George Adams later Anson MP, of Orgrave and Shugborough, co. Stafford, by his wife Hon Mary Venables-Vernon, only dau. by his first wife of George [Vernon later Venables-Vernon], 1st Baron Vernon
1. Sir Victor Alexander Brooke, 3rd Bt.
2. Capt Sir Harry Vesey Brooke KBE JP DL, of Fairley, Countesswells, co. Aberdeen (b. 23 Sep 1845; d. 11 Jun 1921), mar. 9 Dec 1879 Patricia Moir-Byres (b. c. 1859; d. 25 Dec 1951), only child of James Gregory Moir-Byres, of Tonley, co. Aberdeen, and had issue
3. Arthur Basil Brooke RN (b. 1847; d. 3 Aug 1884), mar. 11 Sep 1869 Alice Georgina Ball (widow of Thomas Shirley-Ball, of Abbeyland, co. Longford; d. 1 Feb 1915), sister of Cecil William [Norton], 1st Baron Rathcreedan, and 1st dau. of Rev William Norton, Rector of Baltinglas, co. Wicklow, by his wife Caroline Theresa Riddocl, dau. of George Riddock, of Triton Lodge, co. Louth, and had issue
1. Constance Henrietta Brooke (d. 21 Feb 1920), mar. (1) 3 Oct 1872 Colin John Campbell (d. 6 Aug 1880), 1st son of Colin Campbell, of Colgrain, co. Dumbarton, and (2) 24 Sep 1883 Col Robert Henry Patrick Doran (d. 9 Apr 1924), and had issue by her first husband
21 Nov 1854
Sir Victor Alexander Brooke, 3rd Bt. DL
5 Jan 1843
28 Jul 1864 Alice Sophia Bellingham (d. 27 Jul 1920), 2nd dau. of Sir Alan Edward Bellingham, 3rd Bt., of Castle Bellingham, co. Louth, by his wife Elizabeth Clarke, only child of Henry Clarke
1. Sir Arthur Douglas Brooke, 4th Bt.
2. Lt Col Ronald George Brooke CBE DSO (b. 25 Sep 1866; dsp. 28 Nov 1930), mar. 6 May 1908 Haller Ponsonby (former wife of C A C Ponsonby; d. 2 Feb 1932), yst. dau. of Orville Horwitz, of Baltimore, Maryland, USA
3. Ernest Brooke (dvp. 22 Oct 1868)
4. T/Capt Butler Brooke (b. 2 May 1870; d. 11 Mar 1924), mar. 2 Jun 1910 Mary Viva Francesca Johnston (d. 5 Dec 1944), dau. of Cyril Earle johnston, of Pau, France, and had issue
5. Maj Victor Reginald Brooke CIE DSO (b. 22 Jan 1873; killed in action 29 Aug 1914)
6. Alan Francis Brooke, later 1st Viscount Alanbrooke
1. Alice Mildred Brooke (b. 4 Mar 1875; d. 13 Nov 1914), mar. 28 Sep 1896 Lt Col James Ramsay Campbell, of Ardachie, Fort Augustus
2. Kathleen Mary Brooke (b. 28 Jul 1876; d. 7 Nov 1917)
3. Hylda Henrietta Brooke CBE (b. 22 Feb 1879; d. 7 Oct 1955), mar. (1) 5 Jul 1899 Sir Frederick Henry Arthur Des Voeux, 7th Bt., and (2) 18 May 1937 Sir (John) Evelyn Leslie Wrench KCMG (d. 11 Nov 1966), 2nd son of Rt Hon Frederick Stringer Wrench JP DL, of Killacoona, Ballybrack, co. Dublin, and had issue by her first husband
23 Nov 1891
Sir Arthur Douglas Brooke, 4th Bt. JP DL
7 Oct 1865
28 Jul 1887 Gertrude Isabella Batson (d. 29 Sep 1918), only dau. of Stanley Batson, of Horseheath, co. Cambridge
1. Sir Basil Stanlake Brooke, 5th Bt. later 1st Viscount Brookeborough
2. Victor Mervyn Brooke (b. 8 Jun 1893; d. 29 Mar 1919)
3. S/Ldr Arthur Francis Brooke (b. 24 Sep 1896; dsp. 17 Nov 1949), mar. 9 Oct 1919 Lilian Maude Irwin, 1st dau. of Charles Butler Irwin, of Drumglass, co. Tyrone
1. Sylvia Henrietta Brooke (b. 17 Feb 1890; dsp. 19 May 1921), mar. 26 Feb 1920 as his first wife Capt Hon Charles Henry George Mulholland CBE DSO, later 3rd Baron Dunleath
2. Moyrah Akice Brooke (b. 7 Apr 1892; dvp. 3 May 1892)
2. Sheelah Brooke (b. 9 Jan 1895; d. 1982), mar. 16 Apr 1914 Rt Hon Sir Henry George Hill Mulholland, 1st Bt., and had issue
27 Nov 1907
High Sherrif of co. Fermanagh 1896
Sir Basil Stanlake Brooke, 5th Bt. later 1st Viscount Brookeborough
4 Jul 1952 Viscount Brookeborough, of Colebrooke in the County of Fermanagh
The United Kingdom Baronetcy, styled "of Colebrooke, co. Fermanagh", has been held by the Viscounts Brookeborough since 4 Jul 1952.
First written 20 Oct 2013
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.