The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Capell, Baron (E, 1641)
Creation: let pat. 5 Aug 1541
Family name: Capell
See Earl of Essex
Arthur [Capell], 1st Baron Capell, PC
1st son and heir of Sir Henry Capell (by his first wife Theodosia Montagu, sister of Edward [Montagu], 1st Baron Montagu, and only dau. of Sir Edward Montagu, of Boughton, co. Northampton), 1st son and heir app. of Sir Arthur Capell, of Hadham Parva, co. Hertford, and Rayne Hall, co. Essex, Sheriff of Hertfordshire (by his wife Margaret Grey, dau. of Lord John Grey, of Pirgo, co. Essex (by his wife Mary Browne, sister of Anthony], Browne], 1st Viscount Montagu, and 1st dau. of Sir Anthony Browne KG, of Battle Abbey, co. Sussex), 4th son of Thomas [Grey], 2nd Marquess of Dorset), 1st son and heir of Sir Henry Capell, of Rayne Hall, co. Essex, Sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire, by his wife Lady Catherine Manners, 4th dau. by his second wife of Thomas [Manners], 1st Earl of Rutland
10 Feb 1603/4
28 Nov 1627 Elizabeth Morrison (d. 26 Jan 1660/1), only dau. and hrss. of Sir Charles Morrison, 1st and last Bt., of Cashiobury Park, Watford, co. Hertford, by his wife Hon Mary Hicks, 2nd dau. and cohrss. of Baptist [Hicks], 1st Viscount Camden
1. Hon Arthur Capell, later 2nd Baron Capell later 1st Earl of Essex
2. Hon Henry Capell, later 1st Baron Capell of Tewkesbury
1. Hon Mary Capell (bapt. 16 Dec 1630; d. 7 Jan 1714/5), mar. (1) 28 Jun 1648 Hon Henry Seymour, styled Lord Beauchamp, son and heir ap. of William [Seymour], 2nd Duke of Somerset, by his second wife Lady Frances Devereux, 1st dau. of Robert [Devereux], 2nd Earl of Essex, and (2) 17 Aug 1657 Henry [Somerset], 1st Duke of Beaufort, and had issue by both husbands
2. Hon Elizabeth Capell (bapt. 4 Jun 1633; d. 30 Jul 1678), mar. c, 1653 as his first wife Charles [Dormer], 2nd Earl of Carnarvon, and had issue
3. Hon Theodosia Capell (bapt. 3 Jan 1639/40; d. 22 Mar 1661/2), mar. bef. 26 Jan 1660/1 as his first wife Henry [Hyde], 2nd Earl of Clarendon, and had issue
4. Hon Anne Capell, mar. John Strangways, of Melbury Sandford, co. Dorset
9 Mar 1648/9
5 Aug 1641 Baron Capell, of Hadham in the County of Hertford
Member of Parliament for Hertfordshire 1640 and 1640-41; knighted 1644/5; Privy Councillor 1644/5; captured at Colchester and beheaded on Tower Hill
Arthur [Capell], 2nd Baron Capell later 1st Earl of Essex
20 Apr 1661 Viscount Malden, of Malden in the County of Essex, and Earl of Essex, with special remainder to the heirs male of the body of his father
The Barony of Capell has been held by the Earls of Essex since 20 Apr 1661.
Last updated 20 Jan 2003
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.