The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
De L'Isle, Viscount (UK, 1956)
Creation: let. pat. 12 Jan 1956
Family name: Sidney
See Baron De L'Isle and Dudley
William Philip [Sidney], 6th Baron De L'Isle and Dudley later 1st Viscount De L'Isle, VC KG GCMG GCVO DL
1st son of William [Sidney], 5th Baron De L'Isle and Dudley, by his wife Winifred Agneta Yorke Bevan, 1st dau. of Roland Yorke Bevan, by his wife Hon Agneta Olivia Kinnaird, 4th dau. of Arthur Fitzgerald [Kinnaird], 10th Lord Kinnaird
23 May 1909
8 Jun 1940 Hon Jacqueline Corinne Yvonne Vereker (b. 20 Oct 1914; d. 15 Nov 1962), only dau. of John Standish Surtees Prendergast [Vereker], 6th Viscount Gort, by his wife and second cousin Corinna Katherine Vereker, only dau. of Capt George Medlicott Vereker
children by first wife
1. Hon Philip John Algernon Sidney, later 2nd Viscount De L'Isle
1. Hon Elizabeth ("Libba") Sophia Sidney (b. 12 Mar 1941; d. 3 Feb 2016), mar. (1) 10 Oct 1959 (div. 1966) (George Silver) Oliver Annesley Cothurst (b. 1 Mar 1931), 2nd son of Sir Richard St John Jeffreyes Colthurst, 8th Bt., by his second wife denys Maida Hanmer West, 1st dau. of Augustus William West, of Leixlip House, co. Kildare, (2) 1 Jul 1966 (div. 1971) as his second wife Sir (Edward) Humphrey Tyrrell Wakefield, 2nd Bt., (3) 1972 (div. 1989) Capt James Silvester Rattray of Rattray, and (4) (Robert) Samuel Clive Abel Smith, of The Old Hall, Langham, Oakham, co. Rutland, and has issue by her first, second and third husbands
2. Hon Catherine Mary Sidney OBE (b. 20 Oct 1942), mar. (1) 1 Dec 1964 (div. 1983) Martin John Wilbraham, only son of Maj Edward Jack Wilbraham MC, of 60 Cadogan Square, London SW1, and (2) 9 May 1983 Nicholas Hyde Villiers (b. 10 Apr 1939; lost at sea 18 Aug 1998), 1st son and heir of Lt Col Sir Charles English Hyde Villiers MC, by his first wife Pamela Constance Flower, dau. of Maj John Flower, and has issue by her first husband
3. Hon Anne Marjorie Sidney (b. 15 Aug 1947), mar. 3 Jun 1967 Lt Cdr David Alexander Harries RAN, of Lower Woolwich, Rovenden, co. Kent, 1st son of Rear Admiral David Hugh Harries CB CBE RAN, and has issue
4. Hon Lucy Corinna Agneta Sidney (b. 21 Feb 1953), mar. 26 Jan 1974 Michael Charles James [Willoughby], 13th Baron Middleton, and has issue
24 Mar 1966 Margaret Eldrydd Bailey (b. c. 1914; widow of Wilfred Russell [Bailey], 3rd Baron Glanusk; d. 22 Jan 2002), only dau. of Maj Gen Thomas Herbert Shoubridge CB CMG DSO, by his wife Constance Gladys Dugdale, 1st dau. and cohrss. of Maj Herbert Crowe Dugdale
5 Apr 1991
12 Jan 1956 Viscount De L'Isle, of Penshurst in the County of Kent
son by first wife
served in World War II 1939-45 as Capt (T/Maj), Grenadier Guards; VC 1944; Member of Parliament (Conservative) for Chelsea 1944-45; suc. his father 18 Jun 1945 as 6th Baron De L'Isle and Dudley and 7th Baronet styled "of Penshurst Place, co. Kent"; Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Minister of Food 1945; Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Pensions 1945; Trustee of the British Museum 1950-64; Secretary of State for Air 1951-55: Privy Councillor 1951; Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Australia 1961-65; GCMG 1961; GCVO 1962; suc. his kinsman as 9th Baronet styled of "Castle Goring, co. Sussex" 25 Jul 1965; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery 1965-72; Chancellor of the Order of St Michael and St George 1968-91; Knight of the Garter 1968
Philip John Algernon [Sidney], 2nd Viscount De L'Isle, MBE
21 Apr 1945
15 Nov 1980 Isobel Tresyllian Compton (b. 1950), 4th dau. of Sir Edmund Gerald Compton GCB KBE, of Evelyn Gardens, London SW7, Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration 1967-71, by his wife Betty Tresyllian Williams, dau. of Hakewill Tresyllian Williams JP DL, of Churchill Court, Kidderminster, co. Worcester, by his wife (Eleanor) Esmé Maitland-Makgill-Crichton, 1st dau. of Andrew Coventry Maitland-Makgill-Crichton, by his wife Katherine Charlotte Hulse, 1st dau. of Sir Edward Hulse, 5th Bt.
1. Hon Philip William Edmund Sidney (b. 2 Apr 1985)
1. Hon Sophia Jacqueline Mary Sidney (b. 25 Feb 1983), mar. 2014 Charles Edward Maybanks (b. 1981), son of John C Maybanks, by his wife Susan N Burleton, and has issue
Major, Grenadier Guards 1966-79; MBE 1977; Hon Colonel, 5th Bn Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment 1992-99; Deputy Lieutenant for Kent 1996-2002; Vice Lord Lieutenant for Kent 2002-1l; Lord Lieutenant of Kent 2011-
Last updated 27 Sep 2017
2nd Viscount De L'Isle, of Penshurst in the County of Kent
(United Kingdom, let. pat. 12 Jan 1956)
7th Baron De L'Isle and Dudley, of Penshurst in the County of Kent
(United Kingdom, let. pat. 13 Jan 1835)
10th Baronet, styled "of Castle Goring, co. Sussex"
(United Kingdom, let. pat. 3 Mar 1806)
8th Baronet, styled "of Penshurst Place, co. Kent"
(United Kingdom, let. pat. 12 Dec 1818)
Penshurst Place, Tonbridge, Kent TN11 8DG
Tel: 01892 870307
Website for Penshurst Place:
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.