The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Herschell, Baron (UK, 1886 - 2008)
Creation: let. pat. 8 Feb 1886
Extinct: 26 Oct 2008
Family name: Herschell
Per fess Azure and Sable in fess a Fasces proper between three Stags' Heads couped Or
On a Mount Vert a Stag proper gorged with a Collar gemel Azure and supporting with its dexter forefoot a Fasces in bend Or
On either side a Stag proper collared Azure standing on a Fasces Or
Farrer [Herschell], 1st Baron Herschell, GCB PC
1st son of Rev Ridley Henry Herschell, of Gloucester Terrace, Paddington, London, by his wife Helen Mowbray, dau. of William Mowbray, of Edinburgh
2 Nov 1837
20 Dec 1876 Agnes Adela Porcher (d. 23 Feb 1902), 3rd dau. of Edward Leigh Kindersley Porcher, of Clyffe House, co. Dorset, by his wife Fanny Maitland Wilson, 4th dau. of Henry Wilson, of Stowlangtoft Hall, co. Suffolk
1. Hon Richard Farrer Herschell, later 2nd Baron Herschell
1. Helen Mowbray Herschell (b. 20 Jun 1879; dvp. 30 Nov 1879)
2. Hon Agnes Freda Herschell OBE DGStJ (b. 9 Oct 1881; dsp. 5 May 1942), mar. 27 Nov 1912 as his second wife Archibald [Williamson], 1st Baron Forres
3. Hon Muriel Fanny Herschell (b. 4 Apr 1883; d. 26 Oct 1956), mar. 4 Oct 1906 Brig Gen Ralph Maximilian Yorke CMG DSO, and had issue
1 Mar 1899
8 Feb 1886 Baron Herschell, of the City of Durham
Recorder of Carlisle 1873-80; Solicitor-General 1880-85; Lord Chancellor of the United Kingdom Feb to Aug 1886 and 1892-95
Richard Farrer [Herschell], 2nd Baron Herschell, GCVO
22 May 1878
1 Nov 1919 Annie Vera Violet Nicolson (d. 31 May 1961), only dau. of Sir Arthur Thomas Bennet Nicolson of that Ilk and Lasswade, 10th Bt., by his wife Anne Rutherford, 1st dau. of John Rutherford, of Bruntisfield Place, Edinburgh
1. Hon Rognvald Richard Farrer Herschell, later 3rd Baron Herschell
14 Oct 1929
Rognvald Richard Farrer [Herschell], 3rd Baron Herschell
13 Sep 1923
1 May 1948 Lady Heather Mary Margaret Legge, only dau. of Humphry [Legge], 8th Earl of Dartmouth, by his wife Roma Ernestine Horlick, 1st dau. by his first wife of Sir Ernest Burford Horlick, 2nd Bt.
1. Hon Arabella Jane Herschell (b. 20 Feb 1955), mar. 28 Jul 1984 Maj-Gen John Panton Kiszely MC, son of Dr John Kiszely, and has issue
26 Oct 2008
On the death of the 3rd Baron Herschell the Barony of Herschell became extinct.
Last updated 22 Dec 2008
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.