The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Duncan of Camperdown, Viscount (GB, 1797 - 1933)
Creation: let.pat. 30 Oct 1797
Extinct: 5 Dec 1933
Family name: Duncan later Haldane-Duncan
See Earl of Camperdown
Adam [Duncan], 1st Viscount Duncan of Camperdown
3rd son of Alexander Duncan of Lundie, Provost of Dundee, by his wife and first cousin once removed Helen Haldane, dau. of John Haldane, 14th of Gleneagles
1 Jul 1731
6 Jun 1777 Henrietta Dundas (b. c. 1749; d. 8 Dec 1832), 3rd dau. of Rt Hon Robert Dundas of Arniston, Lord President of the Court of Session, by his first wife Henrietta Carmichael, dau. of Sir James Carmichael, Bt.
1. William Duncan (b. c.1780; dvp. 23 Jan 1789)
2. Lieut Hon Alexander Duncan (dvp. 1803)
3. Hon Robert Dundas Duncan later Haldane-Duncan, later 2nd Viscount Duncan of Camperdown later 1st Earl of Camperdown
4. Capt Hon Sir Henry Duncan CB KCH RN, granted the style and precedence of the younger son of an Earl by Royal Warrant 1833 (b. 1786; d. 1 Nov 1835), mar. 22 Apr 1823 Mary Simpson Crawford (b. c.1806; d. 7 Apr 1885), dau. of Capt James Coutts Crawford RN, and had issue:
1a. Adam Alexander Morison Duncan of Naughton (b. 25 Jun 1824; d. 8 Jul 1855), mar. 1 Mar 1853 Catherine Eunice Mackenzie, dau. of Forbes Mackenzie, and had issue:
1b. Catherine Henrietta Adamina Morison Duncan of Naughton (b. 18 May 1854), mar. 27 Apr 1897 Lt Col Alexander William Anstruther later Anstruther-Duncan (dsp. 18 Oct 1902)
1a. Anna Mary Duncan (d. 15 Aug 1882)
1. Lady Jane Duncan, granted the style and precedence of the daughter of an Earl by Royal Warrant 1833 (b. 30 Mar 1779; d. 7 Mar 1852), mar. 19 May 1800 Lt Col Sir Hew Hamilton-Dalrymple of North Berwick, 4th Bt., Member of Parliament for Haddingtonshire 1795-1800, for Ayrshire 1803-06 and for Haddington Burghs 1820-26, and had issue
2. Lady Henrietta Duncan, granted the style and precedence of the daughter of an Earl by Royal Warrant 1833 (d. 14 May 1850), mar. 5 Dec 1804 as his second wife Sir James Ferguson, 4th Bt., and had issue
3. Hon Catherine Duncan (d. 15 Sep 1833)
4. Lady Adamina Duncan, granted the style and precedence of the daughter of an Earl by Royal Warrant 1833 (dsp. 1 Aug 1857), mar. 8 Jun 1825 as his second wife John [Hamilton-Dalrymple], 8th Earl of Stair
5. Lady Mary Tufton Duncan, granted the style and precedence of the daughter of an Earl by Royal Warrant 1833 (d. 24 May 1867), mar. 20 Jul 1813 James Dundas of Dundas (b. 14 Jan 1793; d. 9 Mar 1881), and had issue
4 Aug 1804
30 Oct 1797 Baron Duncan, of Lundie in the County of Perth, and Viscount Duncan of Camperdown
entered the Royal Navy 1746; Lieut 1755; Commander 1759; Post Captain 1761, commanding at the surrender of the Havannah and distinguishing himself at the Battle of St Vincent 1780; Rear Admiral of the Blue 1787; Vice Admiral 1793; Admiral of the Blue 1795, and of the White 1799; Commander-in-Chief of the North Sea 1795-1801, during which time he gained a famous victory in 1797 against the Dutch fleet off Camperdown (Kemperduin, in the Netherlands) when he captured the Dutch commander, Admiral de Winter, and captured or destroyed 15 ships: as well as a Peerage, he also received the thanks of both Houses of Parliament, the Freedom of the City of London, a sword from the King and a grant of £3,000 from the Crown for the life of himself and his next two successors in the Peerage
Robert Dundas [Duncan later Haldane-Duncan], 2nd Viscount Duncan of Camperdown later 1st Earl of Camperdown, KT
12 Sep 1831 Earl of Camperdown, of Lundie in the County of Forfar and Gleneagles in the County of Perth
The Viscountcy of Duncan of Camperdown was held by the Earls of Camperdown from 12 Sep 1831 until 5 Dec 1933, when on the death of George Alexander Philips Haldane [Haldane-Duncan], 4th Earl of Camperdown, 5th Viscount Duncan of Camperdown, etc., both titles became extinct.
Last updated 22 Sep 2006
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.