The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Sheffield, of Normanby, Lincolnshire (GB Baronet, 1755)
Creation: let.pat. 1 Mar 1755
Family name: Sheffield
Argent a Chevron engrailed between two Garbs in chief Gules and in base a Sheaf of five Arrows proper banded also Gules
A Boar's head erased at the neck Or between two Arrows points downwards proper
Comiter sed fortiter (Composedly but determinedly)
Sir Charles Herbert later Sheffield, 1st Bt.
illegitimate son of John [Sheffield], 1st Duke of Buckingham and Normanby, by his mistress Francis Lambart, wife of Hon Oliver Lambart (2nd son of Charles [Lambart], 3rd Earl of Cavan), and dau. of ..... Stewart
25 Apr 1741 Margaret Diana Sabine (d. 7 Jan 1762), dau. of Gen Joseph Sabine, Governor of Ghent and Gibraltar
1. Sir John Sheffield, 2nd Bt.
2. Charles Sheffield (bur. unm. 31 May 1790)
3. Sir Robert Sheffield, 3rd Bt.
1. Anne Diana Sheffield, mar. Lieut Gen Thomas Cox
2. Alicia Caroline Sheffield (d. unm.)
3. Sophia Maria Sheffield (d. unm.)
5 Sep 1774
1 Mar 1755 a Baronet of Great Britain, styled "of Normanby in the County of Lincoln"
inherited a large part of the Sheffield estates, including Normanby Park, on the death of his half-brother the 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Normanby in 1735; sold Buckingham House, St James's Park, to King George III for £21,000
Sir John Sheffield, 2nd Bt.
3 Apr 1784 Charlotte Sophia Digby (dsp. 15 Dec 1835), 1st dau. of Very Rev Hon William Digby, Dean of Durham (by his wife Charlotte Cox, dau. of Joseph Cox), 4th son Hon Edward Digby MP (by his wife Charlotte Fox, dau. of Sir Stephen Fox), 1st son and heir ap. of William [Digby], 5th Baron Digby, by his wife Lady Jane Noel, 2nd dau. by his first wife of Edward [Noel], 1st Earl of Gainsborough
s.p. 4 Feb 1815
Rev Sir Robert Sheffield, 3rd Bt.
bef. 1785 Penelope Pitches (d. 22 Jun 1787), dau. of Sir Abraham Pitches, of Streatham, co. Surrey
children by first wife
1. Sir Robert Sheffield, 4th Bt.
1. Penelope Sheffield (dvp. 15 Nov 1808)
bef. 1797 Sarah Anne Kennet (d. 14 Sep 1858), dau. of Rev Brackley Kennet DD, son of Brackley Kennet, the cowardly Lord Mayor of London 1779-80
children by second wife
2. Rev Charles Sheffield, Rector of Flixborough, co. Lincoln (b. 19 Oct 1797; d. 20 Feb 1882), mar. 20 Nov 1820 Lucy Smelt (d. 15 Feb 1857), dau. of Col .... Smelt, and had issue
2. Agnes Anne Sheffield, mar. 31 Aug 1824 Rev Henry Lyttelton Neave, Vicar of Epping, co. Essex (b. 21 Mar 1793; dsp. 4 Aug 1873), 2nd son of Sir Thomas Neave, 2nd Bt., by his wife Francis Caroline Digby, 4th dau. of Very Rev Hon William Digby, Dean of Durham (by his wife Charlotte Cox, dau. of Joseph Cox), 4th son Hon Edward Digby MP (by his wife Charlotte Fox, dau. of Sir Stephen Fox), 1st son and heir ap. of William [Digby], 5th Baron Digby, by his wife Lady Jane Noel, 2nd dau. by his first wife of Edward [Noel], 1st Earl of Gainsborough
3. Margaret Jane Sheffield (d. 25 Feb 1852), mar. 24 Nov 1831 Cdr Rose Henry Fuller RN
4. Mary Emily Sheffield (d. 19 Jan 1872), mar. (1) 1820 Samuel Fortnum Cox, of Sandford Park, co. Oxford, and (2) 1859 Adam Schoales, of Southampton
5. Maria Ursula Sheffield, mar. 16 Oct 1827 Rev R Fitzherbert Fuller
6. Charlotte Cecilia Sheffield (d. 16 May 1883), mar. (1) 15 May 1830 H H Jackson, of Hartfield, co. Sussex, and (2) 11 Dec 1845 Bernard Hale
26 Feb 1815
Rector of Flixborough, co. Lincoln; Vicar of Burton, co. Lincoln
Sir Robert Sheffield, 4th Bt.
25 Feb 1786
8 Dec 1818 Julia Brigida Newbolt (d. 28 Oct 1875), dau. of Sir John Henry Newbolt, Chief Justice of Bengal, by his wife Elizabeth Juliana Digby, 2nd dau. of Very Rev Hon William Digby, Dean of Durham (by his wife Charlotte Cox, dau. of Joseph Cox), 4th son Hon Edward Digby MP (by his wife Charlotte Fox, dau. of Sir Stephen Fox), 1st son and heir ap. of William [Digby], 5th Baron Digby, by his wife Lady Jane Noel, 2nd dau. by his first wife of Edward [Noel], 1st Earl of Gainsborough
1. Sir Robert Sheffield, 5th Bt.
2. Henry Digby Sheffield (b. 30 Jan 1833; dsp. 22 Oct 1888), mar. 7 Jul 1877 Evelyn Diana Turner Fairchild
3. John Charles Sheffield, of Caradoyne, Claremorris, Co. Mayo (b. 9 Sep 1834; d. 12 Nov 1903), mar. (1) 24 Jul 1861 Mary Sarah Stoney (d. 16 Apr 1899), 1st dau. of Thomas Butler Stoney, of Portland Park, o. Tipperary, and (2) 8 May 1901 Marie Louise Westcott Papineau (d. 8 Mar 1937), dau. of L J A Papineau, of Quebec, Canada, and had issue by his first wife
4. George Sheffield, Private Secretary to the British Ambassador to Paris 1867-87 (b. 13 Sep 1836; d. 10 Oct 1898)
5. Rev Frank Sheffield, Rector of Brayesworth, Eye, co. Suffolk (b. 3 Dec 1838; d. 22 Dec 1903), mar. 15 Oct 1896 Constance Mary Bateman-Hanbury (b. 4 Mar 1863; d. 28 Jan 1943), 2nd dau. of Rev Hon Arthur Allen Bateman-Hanbury, Rector of Shobdon, co. Hereford (by his wife Mary Ward Davenport, 1st dau. of John Davenport, of Foxley, co. Hereford), 3rd son of William [Hanbury later Bateman-Hanbury], 1st Baron Bateman, and had issue
1. Julia Maria Sheffield (d. 2 Nov 1876), mar. 26 Oct 1847 John [Trollope], 1st Baron Kesteven, and had issue
2. Sophia Penelope Sheffield (b. c. 1842; dsp. 27 Aug 1882), mar. 21 Jun 1857 her first cousin once removed William Thomas Horner [Fox-Strangways], 4th Earl of Ilchester, and (2) 19 Jan 1867 George Hylton [Jolliffe], 1st Baron Hylton
3. Louisa Sheffield (d. 4 Aug 1904), mar. 30 Mar 1848 Thomas Wynn Hornby (d. 6 Apr 1906), and had issue
7 Nov 1862
Sheriff of Lincolnshire 1817-18; Chairman, Kirton-in-Lindsey Quarter Sessions
Sir Robert Sheffield, 5th Bt.
8 Dec 1823
30 Jan 1867 Priscilla Isabella Laura Dumaresq (mar. (2) 15 Mar 1890 Lt Col Thomas Astell St Quintin; d. 30 May 1900), 3rd dau. of Lt Col Henry Dumaresq by his wife Lady Elizabeth Sophia Butler-Danvers, half-sister of George John Danvers [Butler-Danvers], 5th Earl of Lanesborough, and 1st dau. of Hon Augustus Richard Butler later Butler-Danvers (by his second wife Eliza Bizarre Sturt, dau. of Humphrey Sturt, of Critchill House, co. Dorset), 2nd son of Brinsley [Butler], 2nd Earl of Lanesborough
1. Sir Berkeley Digby George Sheffield, 6th Bt.
1. Gwendoline Sophia Alice Sheffield (d. 4 Nov 1921), mar. 24 Apr 1889 as his first wife Lancelot Edward [Lowther], 6th Earl of Lonsdale, and had issue
2. Helen Sheffield (b. 1872; d. 12 Jul 1950), mar. 12 Apr 1893 Lt Col Lord Arthur Hugh Grosvenor (b. 31 May 1860; d. 29 Apr 1929), 2nd son of Hugh Lupus [Grosvenor], 1st Duke of Westminster, by his cousin and first wife Lady Constance Gertrude Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 4th dau. of George Granville [Sutherland-Leveson-Gower], 2nd Duke of Sutherland, and had issue
3. Dorothy Marie Isolde Sheffield (d. 21 May 1964), mar. 16 Jul 1902 Gerald Berkeley [Portman], 7th Viscount Portman, and had issue
23 Oct 1886
entered the Royal Horse Guards (the Blues) 1842; Capt 1849; retired as Brevet Major 1861; Sheriff of Lincolnshire 1872
Sir Berkeley Digby George Sheffield, 6th Bt., MP
19 Jan 1876
19 Jul 1904 Baroness Julia Mary van Tuyll van Serooskerken OBE DGStJ (b. 8 Feb 1883; d. 14 Jul 1952), 1st dau. of Baron William Charles van Tuyll van Serooskerken, of The Hague, Holland, by his wife Countess Anna Mathilde van Limburg-Stirum, only dau. of Count Leopold van Limburg-Stirum, of The Hague, Holland
1. Sir Robert Arthur Sheffield, 7th Bt.
2. Maj (Edmund Charles) Reginald Sheffield DL (b. 24 Oct 1908; d. 6 Mar 1977), mar. 12 Nov 1931 Nancie Miriel Denise Kidston (widow of Lt Cdr (George Pearson) Glen Kidston RN; d. 10 Feb 1997), yst. dau. of Edward Roland Soames, of Belgravia, London, by his wife Eleanor Corisande Astley, 2nd dau. of Sir John Dugdale Astley, 3rd Bt., and had issue:
1a. Robert Charles Reginald Francis Sheffield (b. 9 Nov 1935; dvp. in a fire 23 Jan 1945)
2a. Sir Reginald Adrian Berkeley Sheffield, 8th Bt.
1a. Serena Mary Sheffield (b. 4 Oct 1932; d. 14 Jul 1997)
2a. Fiona Mary Sheffield (b. 14 Mar 1939), mar. 1 Aug 1961 Robert Charles Reneke [Hoyar Millar], 2nd Baron Inchyra, and has issue
3. Maj George Berkeley Sheffield (b. 23 Oct 1910; d. 2 Jul 1968), mar. (1) 3 Oct 1935 Psyche Isabel Joan Altham (dsp. 2 Jan 1945), only dau. of Capt Edward Altham CB RN, and (2) 21 Apr 1949 Hon Agnes Wilson Daly (former wife of Maj Dermot Ralph Daly; d. 11 Mar 1976), 2nd dau. of Harry Duncan [McGowan], 1st Baron McGowan, by his wife Jean Boyle Young, dau. of William Young, of Paisley, and had issue by his second wife
4. John Vincent Sheffield CBE, of New Barn House, Laverstoke, Whitchurch, co. Hampshire, High Sheriff of Lincolnshire 1944-45 (b. 11 Nov 1913; d. 9 May 2008), mar. (1) 21 Apr 1936 Anne Margaret Faudel-Phillips (b. 21 May 1913; d. 8 Feb 1969), 2nd dau. of Sir Lionel Lawson Faudel Faudel-Phillips, 3rd Bt., of Balls Park, co. Hertford, by his wife Armyne Eveleyn Gordon, only dau. of Lord Granville Armyne Gordon (by his first wife Charlotte D'Olier Roe, dau. of Henry Row, of Mount Anneville Park, Co. Dublin), 6th son by his second wife of Charles [Gordon], 10th Marquess of Huntly, and (2) 11 Oct 1971 France Mary Agnes Crosthwaite (former wife of Maj Ivor Crosthwaite), dau. of Brig Gen Goland Clarke CMG DSO, and has issue by his first wife
1. Diana Mary Sheffield (b. 17 Jan 1907; d. 17 Jul 1969), mar. 11 Dec 1928 Hon Robert Henry Digby (b. 24 Nov 1903; d. 4 Apr 1959), 2nd son of Edward Henry Trafalgar [Digby], 10th Baron Digby, by his wife Emily Beryl Sissy Hood, 1st dau. of Lieut Hon Albert Hood (by his wife Julia Jane Hornby, only dau. of Thomas Wynn Hornby, of Upham House, co, Hampshire), 2nd son of Samuel [Hood later Hood-Tibbits], 3rd Viscount Hood, and had issue
26 Nov 1946
Sir Robert Arthur Sheffield, 7th Bt.
8 Oct 1905
2 Jun 1977
Sir Reginald Adrian Berkeley Sheffield, 8th Bt.
9 May 1946
11 Nov 1969 (div. 1975) Annabel Lucy Veronica Jones, dau. of Timothy Angus Jones by his wife (Patricia David) Pandora Clifford, 2nd dau. of Hon Sir Bede Edmund Hugh Clifford GCMG CB MVO, Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Bahamas 1931-37, Mauritius 1937-42 and Trinidad and Tobago 1942-46 (by his wife Alice Devin Gundry, dau. of John Murton Gundry, of Cleveland, Ohio, USA), 3rd son by his first wife of William Hugh [Clifford], 10th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh
children by first wife
1. Samantha Gwendoline Sheffield (b. 18 Apr 1971), mar. 1 Jun 1996 Rt Hon David William Donald Cameron MP, 2nd son of Ian Donald Cameron, of Belgravia, London, stockbroker, by his wife Mary Fleur Mount, 2nd dau. of Sir William Mount, 2nd Bt., of Wasing Place, co. Berkshire, and has issue
2. Emily Julia Sheffield (b. 1973)
1977 Victoria Penelope Walker, dau. of Ronald Clive Walker DFC
children by second wife
1. Robert Charles Berkeley Sheffield (b. 1 Sep 1984)
3. Alice Daisy Victoria Sheffield (b. 1980)
4. Lucy Mary Sheffield (b. 1981)
Last updated 6 Jun 2007
Thealby Hall, Thealby, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire DN15 9AB
Normanby Park, Normanby, South Humberside DN15 9HS
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.