The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Milford, Baron (UK, 1847 - 1857)
Creation: let.pat. 21 Sep 1847
Extinct: 3 Jan 1857
Family name: Grant later Philipps
The arms of the 1st and last Baron Milford and his first wife Eliza Gordon worked in
wool and silk on a Victorian painted and gilt carved wood fire screen in the Library at
Baddesley Clinton, co. Warwick
Argent a Lion rampant Sable gorged with a Ducal Coronet therefrom a Chain reflexed over the back Or
A Lion rampant gorged and chained as in the Arms
On either side a Horse Argent charged on the breast with five Ermine Spots two one and two Sable
Ducit Amor Patria
Richard Bulkeley Philipps [Grant later Philipps], 1st Baron Milford
1st son and heir of John Grant, of Nolton, co. Pembroke, by his wife Maria Philippa Artemisia Child, only surv. dau. of James Child, of Begelley House, co. Pembroke, by his first wife Maria Philippa Artemisia Philipps, only surv. child of Bulkeley Philipps, of Abercover, co. Carmarthen (by his wife Philippa Adams, dau. of William Adams, of Pembroke, co. Pembroke), 3rd son of Sir John Philipps, 4th Bt. MP, of Picton Castle, co. Pembroke
7 Jun 1801
14 Oct 1824 Eliza Gordon (b. c. 1803; dsp. 24 Mar 1852), dau. of John Gordon, of Hanwell, co. Middlesex
8 Jun 1854 Lady Anne Jane Howard (b. 10 Dec 1824; mar. (2) 4 Jun 1861 Thomas Joseph Eyre, of Upper Court, co. Kilkenny (b. 11 Jun 1821; dsp. 18 Jan 1902; bur. at Bath, co. Somerset); d. 20 Jun 1909; bur. with her second husband at Bath, co. Somerset), 5th dau. and cohrss. of William [Howard later Forward later Howard], 4th Earl of Wicklow, by his wife Lady Cecil Frances Hamilton, only dau. by his second wife and cousin of John James [Hamilton], 1st Marquess of Abercorn
s.p. 3 Jan 1857 (bur. at Haverfordwest, co. Pembroke)
13 Feb 1828 a Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Picton Castle, Pembroke"
21 Sep 1847 Baron Milford, of Picton Castle in the County of Pembroke
having inherited Picton Castle and other estates from his first cousin twice removed, Richard [Philipps], 1st Baron Milford, he took the name and arms of Philipps in lieu of that of Grant by Royal Warrant 1824; Lord Lieutenant of Pembrokeshire 1824-57; Member of Parliament (Whig) for Haverfordwest 1826-35 and 1837-47; on his death Picton Castle and other estates passed to his uterine half-brother, Rev James Henry Alexander Gwyther later Philipps, Vicar of St Mary's, Haverfordwest, co. Pembroke
On the death of the 1st Baron Milford the Baronetcy of Philipps and the Barony of Milford both became extinct.
First written 1 Apr 2012
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.