The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Peel, Viscount (UK, 1895)
Creation: let.pat. 9 May 1895
Family name: Peel
See Earl Peel
Arthur Wellesley [Peel], 1st Viscount Peel, PC
5th son of Rt Hon Sir Robert Peel, 5th Bt., by his wife Julia Floyd, 2nd dau. of Gen Sir John Floyd, Bt.
3 Aug 1829
14 Aug 1862 Adelaide Dugdale (b. 14 Nov 1839; d. 5 Dec 1890), 1st surv. dau. of William Stratford Dugdale. of Merevale Hall and Blyth Hall, co. Warwick, by his wife Harriet Ella Portman, sister of Edward Berkeley [Portman], 1st Viscount Portman, and yst. dau. of Edward Berkeley Portman, of Bryanston, co. Dorset
1. Hon William Robert Wellesley Peel, later 2nd Viscount Peel later 1st Earl Peel
2. Maj Hon (Arthur) George Villiers Peel DL, Member of Parliament for Spalding 1917-18, Clerk to the Treasury (b. 27 Feb 1869; d. 25 Apr 1956), mar. 6 Oct 1906 Lady Agnes Lygon (b. 7 Dec 1880; d. 15 Mar 1960), 1st dau. of Frederick [Lygon], 6th Earl Beauchamp, by his second wife Lady Emily Annora Charlotte Pierrepont, 1st dau. of Sydney William [Pierrepont], 3rd Earl Manvers, and had issue
3. Lt Col Hon Sir Sidney Cornwallis Peel, 1st Bt. CB DSO DL, of Eyworth, co. Bedford(cr. a Baronet of the United Kingdom 14 Jul 1936), Deputy Steward of Oxford University, Member of Parliament (Conservative) for Uxbridge 1918-22 (b. 3 Jun 1870; dsp. 19 Dec 1938), mar. 18 Feb 1914 Lady Delia Adelaide Margaret Spencer DCVO, Extra Woman of the Bedchamber to HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (b. 26 Jun 1889), 1st dau. of Charles Robert [Spencer], 6th Earl Spencer, by his wife Hon Margaret Baring, 2nd dau. of Edward Charles [Baring], 1st Baron Revelstoke
4. Rev Hon Maurice Berkeley Peel MC and bar, Rector of Wrestlingworth, Vicar of Eyworth, co. Bedford 1906-09, of St Paul, Beckenham 1909-15 and Tamworth, co. Stafford 1915-17 (b. 23 Apr 1873; d. 14 May 1917), mar. 29 Jul 1909 Emily Alington (d. 24 Mar 1912), 2nd dau. of Julius Alington, of Little Barford Manor House, co. Bedford, and had issue
1. Hon Julia Beatrice Peel (dsp. 25 May 1949), mar. 24 Apr 1895 James Rochfort Maguire CBE MP (d. 18 Apr 1925), son of Rev John M Maguire, Rector of Kilkeedy, co. Limerick
2. Hon Agnes Mary Peel DGStJ (d. 27 Feb 1959), mar. 11 Feb 1899 Maj Charles Sydney Goldman MBE (d. 2 Apr 1958), son of B N Goldman, of Cape Colony, South Africa, and had issue
3. Hon Ella Frances Peel (dvp. 21 Jul 1900)
24 Oct 1912
9 May 1895 Viscount Peel, of Sandy in the County of Bedford
Member of Parliament for Warwick 1865-85 and for Warwick and Leamington 1885-95; Parliamentary Secretary to the Poor Law Board 1868-71 and to the Board of Trade 1871-73; Patronage Secretary to the Treasury 1873-74; Under Secretary of the Home Office 1880; Privy Councillor 1884; Speaker of the House of Commons 1884-95; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery 1887-1908 and Chairman 1898-1908; Chairman of the Royal Commission on Licensing Laws 1896-99; Trustee of the British Museum 1898-1908
William Robert Wellesley [Peel], 2nd Viscount Peel later 1st Earl Peel, GCSI GBE PC
10 Jul 1929 Viscount Clanfield, of Clanfield in the County of Hampshire, and Earl Peel
The Viscountcy of Peel has been held by the Earls Peel since 10 Jul 1929.
First written 2 Dec 2005
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.