The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to develop and expand Cracroft's Peerage?
Pringle of Stichell, Roxburghshire(S Baronet, 1682/3)
Creation: let.pat. 5 Jan 1682/3
Family name: Pringle
Azure three Escallops Or
1. An Escallop Or; 2. A Saltire Azure within a Garland of Bay-leaves proper
(Above the crests) Coronat Fides (Faith crowns); (below the shield) Amicitia Reddit Honores
Sir Robert Pringle of Stichill, 1st Bt. MP
1st son and heir of John Pringle, Yr. of Stichill (by his wife Margaret Scott, illegit. dau. of Walter [Scott], 1st Earl of Buccleuch), 1st son and heir ap. of Robert Pringle of Stichill MP by his wife Catherine Hamilton
1660 Margaret Hope, dau. of Sir John Hope of Craighall, 2nd Bt., a Lord of Session under the style of Lord Craighall, by his wife Margaret Murray, dau. of Sir Archibald Murray of Blackbarony, 1st Bt. MP
1. Sir John Pringle of Stichill, 2nd Bt.
2. Sir Walter Pringle of Lochton, a Lord of Session under the style of Lord Newhall, mar. ..... Johnston, dau. of ..... Johnston of Hilton, and had issue
3. Rt Hon Robert Pringle MP, Secretary-at-War, mar. ..... Law, and had issue
4. Thomas Pringle WS, ancestor of the Pringles of Edgefield and the Pringles of Weens
1. Katherine Pringle (d. 6 Jun 1755), mar. Sir John Home of Blackadder, 2nd Bt. MP, and had issue
2. Mary Pringle, mar. Henry Borthwick of Pilmuir, de jure 12th Lord Borthwick, and had issue
3. Bethia Pringle, mar. (1) ..... Deans of Woodhouselee, (2) ..... Stewart of Stewartfield, and (3) ..... Kerr of Littledean, and had issue by her first husband
6 Jan 16852/3 a Baronet of Scotland
suc. his grandfather 1649; suc. to the estate of Newhall, co. Selkirk, on the death of his cousin, Robert Pringle of Newhall, in 1672; Member of Parliament for Roxburghshire 1678 and 1681-82
Sir John Pringle of Stichill, 2nd Bt.
2 Jul 1662
after 19 Jul 1688 Magdalen Eliott (d. Dec 1739), 2nd dau. of Sir Gilbert Eliott of Stobbs, 1st Bt., by his second wife Magdalen Nicolson, only dau. of Sir John Nicolson of Nicolson & Lasswade, 2nd Bt. MP
1. Sir Robert Pringle of Stichill, 3rd Bt.
2. Gilbert Pringle, Dragoons officer (dsp.), mar. Margaret Pringle, only dau. and hrss. of John Pringle of Torsonce
3. Walter Pringle of Torsonce, Sheriff of Roxburghshire (d. unm.)
4. Sir John Pringle, 1st and last Bt.
1. Margaret Pringle, mar. as his second wife Sir James Hall of Dunglass, 2nd Bt., and had issue
2. Katherine Pringle, mar. William Hamilton of Bangour, and had issue
Sir Robert Pringle of Stichill, 3rd Bt.
6 Oct 1690
1723 Katherine Pringle (d. 28 May 1745) ,1st dau. of James Pringle, 7th of Torwoodlee, by his wife Isabel Hall, dau. of Sir John Hall of Douglas
1. John Pringle, Yr. of Stichill (dvp. 1740 at Edinburgh Castle)
2. Col Sir James Pringle of Stichill, 4th Bt.
3. Francis Pringle WS (d. unm.)
1. Magdalen Pringle (d. 1763), mar. 1759 her cousin Sir John Hall of Dunglass, 3rd Bt., and had issue
14 Dec 1779
Col Sir James Pringle of Stichill, 4th Bt. MP
6 Nov 1726
11 Sep 1767 Elizabeth Macleod (d. 9 Oct 1826), 2nd dau. of Norman Macleod of Macleod, 22nd Chief of Macleod, by his second wife Anne Martin, dau. of William Martin of Inchture
1. Robert Pringle, Yr. of Stichill (dvp. 1806), mar. 22 Apr 1806 his first half-cousin once removed Sarah Macleod (d. Jun 1806), 1st dau. of Maj Gen Norman Macleod of Macleod, 23rd Chief of Macleod, by his second wife Sarah Stackhouse, dau. of N Stackhouse, 2nd Member of Council at Bombay
2. Sir John Pringle of Stichill, 5th Bt.
3. Maj Sir Norman Pringle of Stichill, 6th Bt.
1. Eliza Pringle (d. Oct 1865), mar. Archibald Todd of Drygrange
2. Mary Pringle (b. c. 1780; d. 23 Oct 1865), mar. 13 Jul 1801 George Baillie-Hamilton of Jerviswood & Mellerstain MP (b. 7 Oct 1763; d. 11 Dec 1841), 1st son and heir of Hon George Hamilton later Baillie-Hamilton (by his wife Elizabeth Andrews, dau. of John Andrews), 2nd son of Hon Charles Hamilton, styled Lord Binning (by his wife Rachel Baillie, 2nd dau. and cohrss. of George Baillie of Jerviswood & Mellerstain), 1st son and heir ap. of Thomas [Hamilton], 6th Earl of Haddington, and had issue
7 Apr 1809
served Fusiliers; Col 59th Regiment; Lt-Col Southern Fencibles; commanded Roxburghshire Yeoman Cavalry; HM's Master of Works in Scotland; Member of Parliament for Berwickshire 1761-69
Sir John Pringle of Stichill, 5th Bt.
20 Jan 1784
2 Jun 1809 his elder brother's siste-in-law and his own first half-cousin once removed Emilia Anne Macleod (d. 22 Feb 1830), 1st dau. of Maj Gen Norman Macleod of Macleod, 23rd Chief of Macleod, by his second wife Sarah Stackhouse, dau. of N Stackhouse, 2nd Member of Council at Bombay
children by first wife
1. James Pringle, Yr. of Stichill (dvp. unm. 21 Aug 1865)
2. Norman Pringle, RE cadet at Woolwich (drowned v.p. in the River Thames)
3. John Robert Pringle, Madras CS (d. 5 Sep 1847), mar. 21 Aug 1844 Hester Helen McNeill, dau. of Gen Malcolm McNeill, Madras Army, and had issue:
1a. Emily Eliza Steel Pringle (dsp. 6 Aug 1932), mar. (1) 19 Dec 1865 John Gordon of Cluny (dsp. 3 Mar 1878), and (2) 5 Dec 1880 Sir Reginald Archibald Edward Cathcart, 6th Bt.
1. Katherine Pringle (d. 24 May 1846), mar. 29 Jul 1845 Archibald Swinton of Kimmerghame later Campbell-Swinton of Kimmerghame (d. 27 Nov 1890), and had issue
2. Anne Crawfurd Pringle (d. 15 Dec 1899), mar. 1 Jul 1854 as his secind wife Cdr Hon Charles St Clair RN, of St Ella's Lodge, Eyemouth, co. Berwick (b. 8 Jun 1811; d. 8 Feb 1863), 2nd son of Charles [St Clair], 4th Lord Sinclair, by his first wife Mary Agnes Chisholm, only dau. of James Chisholm of Chisholm, and had issue
10 Oct 1831 Lady Elizabeth Maitland Campbell (b. 25 Jul 1794; d. 17 Feb 1878), 1st dau. of John [Campbell], 1st Marquess of Breadalbane, by his wife Mary Turner Gavin, 1st dau. and cohrss. of David Gavin, of Langton House, co. Berwick, by his wife Lady Elizabeth Maitland, dau. of James [Maitland], 7th Earl of Lauderdale
children by second wife
3. Mary Gavin Pringle (dsp. 11 Apr 1911), mar. 18 Jul 1861 her first cousin once removed Maj Hon Robert Baillie-Hamilton MP (b. 8 Oct 1828; dsp. 5 Sep 1891, 2nd son of George [Baillie later Baillie-Hamilton], 10th Earl of Haddington, by his wife Georgiana Markham (b. c. 1802; d. 26 Feb 1873), 2nd dau. of Ven Robert Markham, Archdeacon of York (by his wife Frances Egerton Clifton, only dau. of Sir Gervase Clifton, 6th Bt., of Clifton, co. Nottingham), 5th son of Most Rev William Markham DD, Archbishop of York
4. Magdalen Breadalbane Pringle (d. 28 Apr 1913), mar. (1) 9 Jul 1863 Alexander Anderson, of Newstead, Australia (d. 1871), and (2) 21 Jan 1874 Sir Robert Bateson Harvey, 1st Bt.
15 Jun 1869
Maj Sir Norman Pringle of Stichill, 6th Bt.
22 Jul 1787
17 Jan 1826 Anne Steuart (d. 4 Aug 1883), 1st dau. of Robert Steuart of Alderston, by his wife Louisa Clementina Drummond, 5th dau. of John Drummond, 3rd of Logie Almond, by his wife Lady Catherine Murray, 2nd dau. of William [Murray], 3rd Earl of Dunmore
1. Col Sir Norman William Drummond Pringle of Stichill, 7th Bt.
2. Lieut Francis John Pringle (b. 1839; dvp. unm.)
3. Walter Louis Pringle, Senior Clerk Privy Council Office (b. 1846; d. 3 Aug 1884)
18 Apr 1870
Major, 21st Regiment, Northern British Fusiliers; Consul at Stockholm and Dunkirk
Col Sir Norman William Drummond Pringle of Stichill, 7th Bt. JP
16 Apr 1836
10 Jan 1871 his cousin Louisa Clementina Steuart (d. 29 Jul 1922), yst. dau. of Robert Steuart of Alderston MP (by his wife Maria Dalrymple, dau. of Lt-Gen Samuel Dalrymple CB by his first wife Hannah Tweddell, dau. of John Tweddell, of Unthank Hall, co. Northumberland), 1st son of Robert Steuart of Alderston, by his wife Louisa Clementina Drummond, 5th dau. of John Drummond, 3rd of Logie Almond, by his wife Lady Catherine Murray, 2nd dau. of William [Murray], 3rd Earl of Dunmore
1. T/Capt Sir Norman Robert Pringle of Stichill, 8th Bt.
1. Magdalen Valerie Pringle (d. 15 Feb 1925)
2. Violet Louisa Maria Pringle (d. c. Mar 1961), mar. 4 Oct 1927 Arthur Worsley (d. 28 Nov 1937)
21 Jul 1897
Col commanding 1st Batallion, South Staffordshire Regiment; Member, Royal Company of Archers
T/Capt Sir Norman Robert Pringle of Stichill, 8th Bt.
18 Oct 1871
1902 Florence Madge Vaughan (mar. (2) Archibald MacGregor), only child of J Vaughan, of Rochester, co. Kent
1. Sir Norman Hamilton Pringle of Stichill, 9th Bt. (b. 13 May 1903; d. 8 Feb 1961), mar. 15 Sep 1927 Winifred Olive Curran (d. 1975), dau. of Joseph Curran, of Folkestone, co. Kent, and had issue:
1a. Lt Gen Sir Steuart Robert Pringle of Stichill, 10th Bt. KCB (b. 21 Jul 1928; d. 18 Apr 2013), mar. 5 Sep 1953 Jacqueline Marie Gladwell, only dau. of Wilfrid Gubert Gladwell, of La Rocque, Jersey, Channel Islands, and had issue:
1b. Simon Robert Pringle of Stichill, Yr., of 5 Hyde Vale, London SE10 (b. 6 Jan 1959), mar. 1992 Pamela Margaret Hunter, dau. of George Hunter, of Belfast, and has issue:
1c. Ruairi George Robert Pringle (b. 21 Oct 2002)
1c. Siena Evangeline Pringle (b. 13 Jan 1994)
2b. Julian Andrew James Pringle (b. 4 Mar 1961)
1b. Shelagh Mary Frances Pringle (b. 11 Oct 1954), mar. (1) 6 Sep 1975 Jasper J H Dale, only son of Cdr J H Dale RN, and (2) 19... Gary Nicholas Newton, of 35 Stroud Green, Newbury, Berks., and has issue by her second husband
2b. Nicola Ann Pringle (b. 16 Jan 1956), mar. 1981 Clive Gordon Harrisw, and has issue
1. Sir Ronald Steuart Pringle of Stichill, 9th Bt.
2. James Drummond Pringle (b. 12 Apr 1906; d. 1960), mar. (1) 1932 (div. 1946) Nina Beryl Trutwein (d. 1946), dau. of P W Trutwein, Sessions Judge Burma, and (2) Jul 1947 Mrs Pauline Cunliffe, and had issue by both wives
1. Mary Elizabeth Pringle (b. 14 Nov 1916; d. 31 Mar 1996), mar. (1) 6 Oct 1938 (div. 1963) Maj George Wallace Anderson MC, only son of George Wallace Anderson, of Brazil, and (2) 1963 Richard Anthony Mann Roberts, only son of Capt R M Roberts, of Leighton Buzzard, co. Bedford, and had issue by her first husband (Maj and Mrs Anderson also had an adopted son)
on active service 8 Apr 1919
Lieut, Army Pay Department; T/Capt, Inland Water Transport
Simon Robert Pringle of Stichill, Yr., claimed the Baronetcy on the death of his father in 2013. However Simon' Pringle's first cousin once removed, Norman Murray Pringle, contested this claim on the grounds that based on DNA evidence the 9th Baronet should have been his late father, Ronald Steuart Pringle. This evidence was from DNA testing carried out to establish who was the rightful Chief of the Clan Pringle. With neither Simon Pringle nor Murray Pringle proving their right of succession, the Baronetcy was dormant.
In 2015 the Queen, acting under the Judicial Committee Act 1833, referred the matter to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, which held its hearings on the matter in November 2015 and January 2016. It delivered its ruling on 20 Jun 2016, determining that DNA evidence proved that Sir Norman Hamilton Pringle of Stichill, 9th Bt., was conceived adulterously and was not the son of Sir Norman Robert Pringle of Stichill, 8th Bt. As such, on the latter's death, the Baronetcy rightfully passed to his first biological son, Ronald Steuart Pringle, and then to his son, Norman Murray Pringle.
On 27 June 2016 Grant Bavister, Assistant Registrar of the Baronetage at the Ministry of Justice, entered Sir Ronald Steuart Pringle of Stichill and his son Sir Norman Murray Pringle of Stichill onto the Official Roll of the Baronetage, as the 9th and 10th Baronets. He also removed Norman Hamilton Pringle and his son Steuart Robert Pringle from the Roll, in accordance with the Royal Warrant of 1910. Certificates of succession to this effect were issued to Sir Norman Murray Pringle of Stichill on 1 Jul 2016.
Sir Ronald Steuart Pringle of Stichill, 9th Bt.
26 Apr 1905
31 Dec 1938 Janet Patricia Pickford (b. 27 Feb 1914; d. Jun 1983), 3rd dau. of Capt George Todd Pickford RNR, of Wallasey, co. Chester, by his wife Isabel Dora Murray Windsor-Davies, 2nd dau. of Edward William Windsor-Davies JP, of Bangor
1. Sir Norman Murray Pringle of Stichill, 10th Bt. FCIS FCMA
2. James Bruce Pringle, of 5 St Mary's Place, Newbury, co. Berkshire (b. 27 Apr 1943), mar. 11 Sep 1965 Rosemary Jean Collis, 1st dau. of S/Ldr Reginald Allan Collis DFC, and has issue
1. Priscilla Frances Pringle (b. 6 Nov 1944), mar. (1) 8 Aug 1964 (div. 1972) Antony Mark Dorman, of Kenya, and (2) 21 May 1976 (div. 1991) Derek John McIntosh, and has issue by her first husband
24 Jul 1968
Sir Norman Murray Pringle of Stichill, 10th Bt. FCIS FCMA
3 Aug 1941
11 Sep 1966 Lysbet Watkins-Pitchford
children by first wife
1. Alastair Steuart Ronald Pringle, Yr. of Stichill (b. 23 May 1972), mar. 19 Dec 1999 Chanel von Staden, and has issue
1a. Jessica Siobhan Pringle (b. 24 Jan 2001)
1. Sian Amanda Pringle (b. 23 May 1972), mar. 20 Mar 1993 Barend Niemandt, and has issue
24 Aug 1992 Patricia Nadine Millem
First written 25 Apr 2017
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.