The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to develop and expand Cracroft's Peerage?
Walker, of Oakley House, Suffolk (UK Baronet, 1856)
Creation: let.pat. 19 Jul 1856
Family name: Walker later Wake-Walker later Walker
Gules on a Chevron between three Cross Crosslets Argent an Anchor Sable on a Chief of the second three Stag's Heads caboshed proper a Canton Azure thereon a representation of the Diamond Decoration appropriate to the rank of Pasha of the Ottoman Empire, which was conferred on Sir Baldwin Wake Walker by the Sultan for his gallant and distinguished services in Syria
Out of a Naval Crown Azure a Stag's Head proper gorged with an Eastern Crown Or
Ready and Faithful
Admiral Sir Baldwin Wake Walker later Wake-Walker, 1st Bt. KCB
only surv. son of John Walker, of Whitehaven, co. Cumberland (by his wife Frances Wake, only dau. of Drury Wake (by his wife Frances Pratt), 2nd son of Sir William Wake, 7th Bt.), son of Rev David Walker, Vicar of Deeping St James, co. Lincoln, by his wife Sarah Garfit
6 Jan 1802
9 Sep 1834 Mary Catherine Sinclair Worth (d. 14 Nov 1889), only dau. of Capt John Worth RN, of Oakley, co. Suffolk, by his wife Catherine Sinclair, dau. and eventual hrss. of Capt Patrick Sinclair of Durran RN
1. Sir Baldwin Wake Wake-Walker, 2nd Bt.
2. Charles Sinclair Wake-Walker (b. 31 May 1849; lost at sea v.p. 7 Sep 1870 on board HMS Captain)
3. Sir Francis Elliot Wake-Walker, 3rd Bt.
4. Arthur Hotham Wake-Walker (b. 1 May 1853; dvp. 18 Jan 1857)
5. Frederick George Arthur Wake-Walker, of Turner's Hill, co. Sussex (b. 2 Oct 1857; d. 10 Oct 1931), mar. 12 Apr 1883 Mary Eleanor Forster (d. 18 Oct 1928), dau. of William Forster, barrister, and had issue:
1a. Charles Sinclair Wake-Walker (b. 1884; dvp. 1 Jun 1902)
2a. Admiral Sir (William) Frederick Wake-Walker KCB CBE, 3rd Sea Lord and Controller of the Royal Navy during World War II (b. 24 Mar 1888; d. 24 Sep 1945), mar. 19 Jun 1916 Muriel Elsie Hughes (d. 28 Nov 1963), only dau. of Sir (Alfred) Collingwood Hughes, 10th Bt., by his wife Elsie Johansson, dau.of John Johansson, and had issue:
1b. Capt Christopher Baldwin Wake-Walker later Hughes-Wake-Walker later Wake-Walker DL RN, of East Bergholt Lodge, co. Suffolk, Cdr Royal Naval College Greenwich 1959-61, Naval Attaché at Paris 1962-64, Capt Dartmouth Training Squadron 1964-66, Director of Naval Signals 1966-68 (b. 16 May 1920; d. 5 Apr 1998), mar. 10 Feb 1944 Lady Anne Spencer, only dau. of Albert Edward John [Spencer], 7th Earl Spencer, by his wife Lady Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton, 2nd dau. of James Albert Edward [Hamilton], 3rd Duke of Abercorn, and had issue:
1c. David Christopher Wake-Walker, heir presumptive to the Baronetcy of Walker, a Page of Honour 1960-62 (b. 11 Mar 1947), mar. 14 Jul 1979 Jenni Rosemary Vaulkhard, only dau. of Capt Patrick Vaulkhard, of Stone Cottage, Snape, co. Suffolk, and has issue:
1d. Frederick David Wake-Walker (b. 25 Oct 1981)
2d. Nicholas John Wake-Walker (b. 5 Jul 1985)
2c. Richard Anthony Wake-Walker (b. 25 Jun 1951), mar. 1980 Sharon Pamela Little, 2nd dau. of Gordon Stuart Little, of Crowborough, co. Sussex, and has issue
3c. Maj Michael John Wake-Walker, of East Bergholt Lodge, co. Sussex (b. 11 Apr 1958), mar. 23 Sep 1992 (div. 1999) Catherine Patricia Hazlitt, 1st dau. of Basil Rodney Hazlitt, of Billingshurst, co. Sussex, and has issue
1c. Elizabeth Sarah Wake-Walker (b. 2 Dec 1944), mar. 6 May 1970 Anthony Nicholas George Duckworth-Chad DL, of Pynkney Hall, East Rudham, co. Norfolk, High Sheriff of Norfolk 1992, and has issue
2c. Diana Mary Wake-Walker (b. 11 Apr 1958), mar. 1980 Maj Charles Keble Macfarlane, and has issue
2b. Lt-Cdr Cedric Collingwood Wake-Walker RN, of Terwick Wood, Rogate, co. Hampshire (b. 23 Aug 1923), mar. 20 Apr 1949 Margaret Iona Letitia Maclean MBE JP DL, 1st dau. of Capt John Cassilis Maclean RN, of The Close, Chichester, co. Sussex, and has issue
1b. Penelope Hughes Wake-Walker (b. 12 Sep 1917), mar. 4 Sep 1937 Sir Geoffrey Cecil Ryves Eley CBE (d. 1990), 2nd son of Charles Cuthbert Eley JP, of East Bergholt Place, co. Sussex, and has issue
2b. (Catherine) Marigold Wake-Walker (b. 25 Aug 1921; d. 27 May 1999), mar. 4 Sep 1944 Lt Cdr Rev Hugh Wake RN (b. 23 Mar 1916; d. 13 Oct 1993), 1st son of Lt Col Edward St Aubyn Wake CMG (by his wife Vera Cecilia Johnston, yst. dau. of Francis Johnston, of Dunsdale, Westerham, co. Kent), 2nd son of Admiral Charles Wake (by his wife Emma St Aubyn, sister of John [St Aubyn], 1st Baron Saint Levan, and 1st dau. of Sir Edward St Aubyn, 1st Bt.), 2nd son of Sir Charles Wake, 10th Bt., and had issue
1a. Marjorie Ella Wake-Walker (d. 18 Feb 1963)
2a. Freda Evelyn Wake-Walker (d. 14 Nov 1954)
3a. Joan Mary Wake-Walker (d. 8 Dec 1965), mar. 17 Oct 1914 Maj John Glendinning Bryden Shand (d. 14 Aug 1960), son of James Shand, and had issue
4a. Ruth Barbara Wake-Walker (d. 19...), mar. 22 Aug 1916 Maj William Henry Lowe Watson DSO DCM (d. 16 Dec 1932), son of Rev Patrick Watson, and had issue
1. Mary Anne Wake-Walker (dsp. 12 Jul 1902), mar. 4 Nov 1854 Frederick Bacon Field DL, of Earlham Hall, co. Norfolk, and Campsall Hall, co. York (mar. (2) 1904 Mary Peel, 3rd dau. by his first wife of Rev Francis William Peel, Rector of Burghwallis; dsp. 27 Aug 1911)
2. Emily Wake-Walker (d. 1916), mar. 26 Jul 1870 as his second wife Rev Francis William Peel, Rector of Burghwallis (d. 1895), and had issue
3. Florence Charlotte Wake-Walker (d. 30 Oct 1920), mar. 17 Nov 1875 Rev Canon Charles Robertson Manning, Rector of Diss, co. Norfolk (d. 7 Feb 1890), and had issue
4. Evelyn Laura Wake-Walker (d. 1889), mar. (1) 25 Aug 1864 Capt Hugh Talbot Burgoyne VC RN (lost at sea sp. 7 Sep 1870 on board HMS Captain), only son of Field Marshal Sir John Fox Burgoyne, 1st Bt. GCB, and (2) 30 Jul 1874 Dr Wilson Fox, of Grosvenor Street, London (d. 1887)
12 Feb 1876
19 Jul 1856 a Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Oakley House, Suffolk"
Comptroller of the Navy 1847-60; commanded at the Cape of Good Hope station 1860-65; an Admiral in the Turkish service and a Pasha of the Ottoman Empire
Vice-Admiral Sir Baldwin Wake-Walker, 2nd Bt. CVO CMG
24 Sep 1846
31 Oct 1877 Fanny Augusta Cowper Coles (f. 13 Aug 1951), 1st dau. of Capt ..... Cowper Coles CB RN
1. Irene Catherine Wake-Walker (b. 1889; d. 12 Nov 1939), mar. (1) 3 Jun 1909 Capt Philip Francklin MVO RN (lost in action off Chile on HMS Good Hope on 1 Nov 1914), 2nd son of John Liell Francklin, of Gonalston, co. Nottingham, and (2) 7 Jun 1917 Admiral Sir Osmond de Beauvoir Brock KCB KCMG KCVO (d. 14 Oct 1947), son of Capt Osmond de Beauvoir Brock RN, and had issue by both husbands
s.p.m. 28 Jun 1905
Sir Baldwin Elliot Walker, 3rd Bt.
9 Mar 1851
5 Apr 1883 Helen Constance Paris (d. 15 Oct 1901), dau. of Rev Archibald Paris
1. Cdr Baldwin Charles Walker RN (b. 7 Jan 1884; dvp. 9 Apr 1927), mar. 22 Nov 1923 Mary Bold (former wife of ..... Bold; mar. (3) 14 Nov 1928 S/Ldr Aubrey William Graham Martin RAF (d. 1973), only son of Brig-General Herbert Martin CB, of Torquay, co. Devon, (4) Capt C Black, and (5) her 3rd husband; d. 1991), dau. of Frederick Pierre Barnett, of Whalton, co. Northumberland, and had issue:
1a. Sir (Baldwin) Patrick Walker, 4th Bt.
2a. Francis Donald Baldwin Walker, served 1945-48 as Lieut, 60th Rifles (b. 18 Jul 1927; d. 24 Nov 1994), mar. (1) 12 Mar 1955 Joanna Mary Russell, only dau. of Sir John Weir Russell, of Kensington, London, and (2) 1965 Jennifer Mary Stokes, only dau. of Lt Cdr Eric Stokes RN, and had issue by both wives
1. Helen Marjorie Walker (d. unm.)
27 Jul 1928
a Lieut in the Royal Navy; an hereditary Pasha of the Ottoman Empire
Sir (Baldwin) Patrick Walker, 4th Bt.
10 Sep 1924
4 Sep 1948 (div. 1954) Joy Yvonne Moir (b. 13 Aug 1927; mar. (2) 2 Jul 1954 (div. 19...) Michael Haggerty, son of Charles Haggerty, of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; d. 1996), 2nd dau. of Sir Arrol Moir, 2nd Bt., by his wife Dorothy Blanche Royds, dau. of Admiral Sir Percy Royds CB CMG
25 Mar 1954 (div. 1961) Sandra Stewart, dau. of Henry Stewart
1966 Rosemary Anne Hollingdrake, dau. of Henry Hollingdrake
children by third wife
1. Sir Christopher Robert Baldwin Walker, 5th Bt.
1. Amanda Jane Walker (b. 1967), mar. 1993 Michael Grant Fenner-Solomon, and has issue
1980 Vanessa Joyce Hilton Clay, dau. of Dr Alan Clay
6 Jun 2005
son by third wife
an hereditary Pasha of the Ottoman Empire
Sir Christopher Robert Baldwin Walker, 5th Bt.
25 Oct 1969
First written 12 Aug 2012
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.