The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to develop and expand Cracroft's Peerage?
Webb, of Odstock, co. Wiltshire (E Baronet, 1644 - 1874)
Creation: let.pat. 2 Apr 1644
Extinct: 19 Aug 1874
Family name: Webb
Gules a Cross between four Falcons Or
Out of a Ducal Coronet Or a Demi Eagle rising Gules
Sir John Webb, 1st Bt.
son and heir of Sir John Webb, of Odstock, co. Wiltshire, and Great Canford, co. Dorset, by his second wife Catharine Tresham, dau. of Sir Thomas Tresham, of Rushton, co. Northampton
Mary Caryll (d. 1661), 2nd dau. of Sir John Carryl, of Harting, co. Sussex, by his wife Hon Mary Dormer, 3rd dau. of Robert [Dormer], 1st Baron Dormer, by his wife Hon Elizabeth Browne, 1st dau. of Anthony [Browne], 1st Viscount Montagu, by his second wife Hon Magdalen Dacre, 1st dau. of William [Dacre], 3rd Baron Dacre of Gilsland
1. Sir John Webb, 2nd Bt.
2. Thomas Webb (d. unm.)
3. William Webb (bur. unm. vp. 11 Sep 1668)
4. Peter Webb (d. unm.)
1. Marina Webb, mar. William Ireland, of Crofton
2. Catherine Webb, a nun
3. Frances Webb, a nun
4. Elizabeth Webb, a nun
5. Anne Webb, a nun
1680 (bur. at Odstock, co. Wiltshire)
2 Apr 1644 a Baronet of England, styled "of Odstock, co. Wiltshire"
admitted to Gray's Inn 1619; his lands in Wiltshire, worth £300 a year, were sequestrated in 1646
Sir John Webb, 2nd Bt.
his second cousin once removed Mary Draycot (widow of Richard Draycot; d. 29 May 1709; bur. at Hatherop, co. Gloucester), only dau. of John Blomer, of Hatherop Castle, co. Gloucester, by his wife Hon Frances Browne, 6th dau. of Anthony [Browne], 2nd Viscount Montagu, by his wife Lady Jane Sackville, 2nd dau. of Thomas [Sackville], 1st Earl of Dorset
1. Sir John Webb, 3rd Bt.
29 Oct 1700 (bur. at Odstock, co. Wiltshire)
Sir John Webb, 3rd Bt.
in or bef. 1700 Hon Barbara Belasyse (d. 28 Mar 1740), 2nd dau. and cohrss. of John [Belasyse], 1st Baron Belasyse, by his third wife Lady Anne Paulet, only child by his second wife of John [Paulet], 5th Marquess of Winchester
children by first wife
1. John Webb (b. c. 1700; dvp. 9 Mar 1744/5), mar. (1) Mabella Tichborne (d. Sep 1727), 3rd dau. and cohrss. of Sir Henry Joseph Tichborne, 4th Bt., of Tichborne, co. Hampshire, by his wife Mary Kemp, dau. of Anthony Kemp., of Slindon, co. Sussex, and (2) Hon Anne Roper, only dau. of Henry [Roper], 8th Baron Teynham, by his first wife Hon Catherine Clare Smythe, 3rd dau. of Philip [Smythe], 2nd Viscount Strangford, and had issue by his first wife:
1a. Mary Webb
2a. Barbara Mabella Webb (d. 1770), mar. Sep 1747 as his first wife Sir Edward Hales, 5th Bt., of Woodchurch, co. Essex, and had issue
2. Sir Thomas Webb, 4th Bt.
1. Anna Maria Webb (b. c. 1692; d. 19 Aug 1723), mar. 10 Jul 1712 James [Radclyffe], 3rd Earl of Derwentwater, and had issue
2. Mary Webb (b. c. 1695; d. 22 Jan 1719; bur. in Westminster Abbey), mar. 20 May 1714 James [Waldegrave], 1st Earl Waldegrave, and had issue
3. Barbara Webb (d. 7 Apr 1779), mar. 28 Jul 1720 her third cousin once removed Anthony [Browne], 6th Viscount Montagu ,and had issue
4. Winifred Webb, mar. William Frankland, of Richmond
5. Bridget Webb (d. 1727)
Helen Moore, dau. of Sir Richard Moore, 3rd Bt., of Fawley, co. Hertford, by his wife Anastasia Aylward, dau. and cohrss. of John Aylward, of London
son by first wife
Sir Thomas Webb, 4th Bt.
c. 1738 Anne Gibson (d. 7 Oct 1777; bur. at St Pancras, co. Middlesex), dau. and cohrss. of William Gibson, of Welford, co. Northampton
1. Sir John Webb, 5th Bt.
2. Joseph Webb, of Welford, co. Northampton, mar. Mary White (d. 17 Mar 1770), dau. of John White, of Canford, co. Dorset, and had issue:
1a. Sir Thomas Webb, 6th Bt.
2a. Joseph Webb (d. unm.)
1a. Anne Webb (b. c. 1763; dsp. 3 Aug 1861), mar. 30 Jun 1789 Anthony James [Radclyffe], 5th Earl of Newburgh
29 Jun 1763 (bur. at St Pancras, co. Middlesex)
Sir John Webb, 5th Bt.
in or before 1760 Mary Salvin (d. 1782; bur. in Louvaine), 1st dau. of Thomas Salvin, of Easingwold, co. York, by his wife Mary Talbot
1. Barbara Webb (b. c. 1762; d. 5 Oct 1819), mar. 17 Jul 1786 Anthony Ashley [Cooper], 5th Earl of Shaftesbury, and had issue
s.p.m. Apr 1797 (bur. at St Pancras, co. Middlesex)
Sir Thomas Webb, 6th Bt.
14 Mar 1799 Hon Frances Charlotte Dillon (b. 17 Feb 1780; d. 17 Apr 1819), only dau. of Charles [Dillon later Dillon-Lee], 12th Viscount Dillon, by his first wife Hon Henrietta Maria Phipps, only dau. of Constantine John [Phipps], 1st Baron Mulgrave
only child by first wife
1. Sir Henry Webb, 7th Bt.
11 Jul 1822 Martha Matilda Hamilton (widow of Gustavus [Hamilton], 5th Viscount Boyne; d. 16 Sep 1826), only dau. of Sir Quaile Somerville, 2nd Bt., of Brownstone, co. Meath, by his second wife Sarah Towers, 1st dau. of Thomas Towers, of Archerstown, co. Meath, and Borrisokane, co. Tipperary
26 Mar 1823
son by first wife
Sir Henry Webb, 7th Bt.
27 Apr 1806
19 Aug 1874
On the death of the 7th Baronet the Baronetcy of Webb of Odstock, co. Wiltshire, became extinct.
First written 28 Jul 2012
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.