The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Buxton, Earl (UK, 1920 - 1934)
Creation: let.pat. 8 Nov 1920
Extinct: 15 Oct 1934
Family name: Buxton
Argent a Lion rampant tail elevated and turned over the head between two Mullets Sable
A Buck's Head couped Gules attired and gorged with a Collar Or therefrom pendent an Escutcheon Argent charged with an African's Head Sable
Dexter: a Negro wreathed about the temples and waist with Oak holding in the dexter hand a Leaf of a Poplar Tree all proper pendent from a Gold Cord round the neck an Escutcheon Argent charged with a Carrier Pigeon volant also proper; Sinister: a Buck Gules attired and unguled Or pendent from the neck by a Gold Cord a Shield Argent charged with a Ship in full sail on the Sea proper
Do it with thy might
Sydney Charles [Buxton], 1st Viscount Buxton later 1st Earl Buxton, GCMG PC
2nd son of Charles Buxton MP, of Foxwarren, Cobham, co. Surrey, by his wife Emily Mary Holland, 1st dau. of Sir Henry Holland, 1st Bt.
25 Oct 1853
5 Feb 1882 Constance Mary Lubbock (dvp. 3 Nov 1892), 2nd dau. of Sir John Lubbock, 4th Bt. (later John [Lubbock], 1st Baron Avebury), by his wife Ellen Frances Hordern, only child of Rev Peter Hordern, of Chorlton-cum-Hardy, co. Lancaster
children by first wife
1. Charles Sydney Buxton, Vice-Principal of Ruskin College, Oxford 1907-08, Private Secretary to the President of the Board of Trade 1910-11 (b. 26 May 1884; dvp. 31 Aug 1911)
2. Kenneth Sydney Buxton (b. 4 Sep 1886 ; dvp. 27 Aug 1894)
1. Lady Phyllis Sydney Buxton OBE (b. 17 Apr 1888; d. 27 Jan 1942), mar. 23 Sep 1918 Rev Canon Maurice George J Ponsonby MC, Dean of Johanessburg 1923-24 (b. 10 Sep 1880; d. 27 Feb 1943), 2nd son of Hon Edwin Charles William Ponsonby (by his first wife Emily Dora Coope, dau. of Octavius Edward Coope MP), 4th son of Charles Frederick Ashley Cooper [Ponsonby], 2nd Baron de Mauley, and had issue
7 Jul 1896 Mildred Anne Smith GBE, 1st dau. of Hugh Colin Smith, of Mount Clare, Roehampton, co. Surrey, by his wife Constance Maria Josepha Adeane, dau. of Henry John Adeane, of Babraham, co. Cambridge
children by second wife
3. 2nd Lt Denis Bertram Sydney Buxton (b. 29 Nov 1897; dvp. 9 Oct 1917)
2. Lady Doreen Maria Josepha Sydney Buxton (b. 29 Nov 1897; d. 28 Jul 1923), mar. 24 Jan 1918 as his first wife Charles Alfred Euston [FitzRoy], 10th Duke of Grafton, and had issue
3. Lady Alethea Constance Dorothy Sydney Buxton (b. 2 Aug 1910), mar. 13 Jul 1934 Ven Peter Charles Eliot MBE, Archdeacon of Worcester 1961-75 (b. 30 Oct 1910; d. 1995), 1st son and heir of Hon Edward Granville Eliot (by his wife Clare Louise Phelips, yst. dau. of William Robert Phelips, of Montacute, co. Somerset), younger brother of Granville John [Eliot], 7th Earl of Saint Germans, and of Montague Charles [Eliot], 8th Earl of Saint Germans
s.p.m.s. 15 Oct 1934
11 May 1914 Viscount Buxton, of Newtimber in the County of Sussex
8 Nov 1920 Earl Buxton
Member of Parliament (Liberal) for Peterborough 1883-85 and for Poplar 1886-1914; a Member of the Royal Commission on Education 1886-89; a Member of the Committee of Conciliation in the Dock Strike of 1889; Under Secretary of State for the Colonies 1892-95; a Member of the Income Tax Committee 1904; Postmaster-General, with a seat in the Cabinet, 1905-10; Privy Councillor 1905; President of the Board of Trade 1910-14; GCMG 1914; Governor-General and Commander-in-Chief of the Union of South Africa, and High Commissioner for South Africa 1914-20; Chancellor of the Order of St Michael and St George 1920; President of the African Society 1920-33; a Director of Barclays Bank
On the death of the 1st Earl Buxton the Earldom of Buxton became extinct.
First written 3 Sep 2004
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.