The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Edinburgh, Duke of (UK, 1866 - 1900)
Creation: let.pat. 24 May 1866
Extinct: 30 Jul 1900
The Royal Arms as borne by Queen Victoria differenced by a Label of three points Argent the centre point charged with a Cross Gules and each of the other points with an Anchor Azure; in the centre of the said Royal Arms an Escutcheon of the August House of Saxony, viz., barry of ten Or and Sable a Crown of Rue in bend Vert
On a Coronet composed of Crosses Pattée and Fleurs-de-lis a Lion statant guardant Or crowned with a like Coronet and differenced with a Label of three points as in the Arms
The Royal Supporters differenced with a like Coronet and Label
Note: These are the differenced version of the Royal Arms assigned by Royal Warrant to the 1st Duke of Edinburgh - the inescutcheon of Saxony was dropped in 1917. His son and his eldest daughter were each assigned a differenced version of the Royal Arms: Prince Alfred of Edinburgh was assigned the Royal Arms with over all a Label of five points Argent charged on the centre and outer points with a Cross of St George Gules and on the two inner points an Anchor Azure, and Princess Maria of Edinburgh was assigned the Royal Arms with over all a Label of five points Argent charged on the centre point with a Cross of St George Gules on each of the next with a Rose Argent upon another Gules and on each of the outer with an Anchor Azure
HRH Prince Alfred Ernest Albert, 1st Duke of Edinburgh later Reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, KG KT KP GCB GCSI GCMG GCIE PC
3rd son of Queen Victoria by her husband and cousin HSH Prince (Francis Augustus Charles) Albert Emmanuel of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Prince Consort, 2nd son of HSH Ernest I Anton Charles Louis, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
6 Aug 1844
23 Jan 1874 HIH Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia (b. 17 Oct 1853; d. 24 Oct 1920), 2nd dau. of HIM Alexander II, Emperor of all the Russias, by his wife HGDH Princess Maximiliane Wilhelmine Auguste Sophia Marie of Hesse and by Rhine, 3rd dau of HGDH Ludwig II, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine
1. HRH Prince Alfred Alexander William Ernest Albert of Edinburgh KG, Duke of Saxony from birth, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (b. 15 Oct 1874; dvp. 6 Feb 1899)
2. A son (b. and d. 13 Oct 1879)
1. HRH Princess Marie Alexandra Victoria of Edinburgh, Duchess of Saxony from birth (b. 29 Oct 1875; d. 18 Jul 1938), mar. 10 Jan 1893 HRH Crown Prince Ferdinand Viktor Albert Meinard of Roumania (later HM King Ferdinand of Roumania), 2nd son of HRH Prince Leopold Stephan Karl Anton Gustav Eduard Tassilo of Hohenzollern by his wife HRH Infanta Antonia Maria Fernanda Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Francesca de Assis Ana Gonzaga Silvina Julia Auga of Portugal, 3rd dau. of HM Maria II da Gloria, Queen of Portugal and the Algarves, and nephew of HM King Carol I of Roumania, and had issue
2. HRH Princess Victoria Melita of Edinburgh, Duchess of Saxony from birth (b. 25 Nov 1876; d. 2 Mar 1936), mar. (1) 19 Apr 1894 (div. 21 Dec 1901) her cousin HRH Ernst Ludwig Karl Albert Wilhelm, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, 1st son of HRH Friedrich Wilhelm Ludwig IV Karl, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, by his wife HRH Princess Alice Maud Mary, 2nd dau. of Queen Victoria by her husband and cousin HSH Prince Francis Augustus Charles Albert Emmanuel of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Prince Consort, and (2) 8 Oct 1905 HIH Grand Duke Kirill Vladimirovitch of Russia, 2nd son of HIH Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovitch of Russia by his wife HGDH Duchess Marie Alexandrine Elisabeth Eleanore of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, 1st dau. of HGDH Friedrich Franz II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, and had issue by both husbands
3. HRH Princess Alexandra Louise Olga Victoria of Edinburgh, Duchess of Saxony from birth (b. 1 Sep 1878; d. 16 Apr 1942), mar. 20 Apr 1896 HSH Ernst Wilhelm Friedrich Karl Maximilian, 7th Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, only son of HSH Hermann Ernst Bernhard, 6th Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, by his wife HGDH Princess Leopoldine Wilhelmine Pauline Amalie Maximiliane of Baden, 4th dau. of HGDH Prince Wilhelm Ludwig August of Baden, and had issue
4. HRH Princess Beatrice Leopoldine Victoria of Edinburgh, Duchess of Saxony from birth (b. 20 Apr 1884; d. 13 Jul 1966), mar. 15 Jul 1909 HRH Prince Don Alfonso Maria Francisco Diego de Orléans y de Borbon, Infante of Spain, 5th Duke of Galliera (b. 12 Nov 1886; d. 10 Aug 1975), 1st son of HRH Prince Don Antonio Maria Luis Felipe Juan Florencio de Orléans y de Borbon, Infante of Spain, 4th Duke of Galliera, by his wife and cousin HRH Dona Infanta Maria Eulalia Francisca de Asis Margarita Roberta Isabel Francisca de Paula Cristina Maria de la Piedad of Spain, 6th dau. of HM Queen Isabel II of Spain, and had issue
30 Jul 1900
24 May 1866 Earl of Ulster, Earl of Kent and Duke of Edinburgh
suc. his uncle 22 Aug 1893 as reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
On the death of the 1st Duke of Edinburgh all his United Kingdom titles became extinct and he was succeeded as Reigning Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha by his nephew HRH Prince Leopold Charles Edward George Albert, 2nd Duke of Albany.
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.