The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Powis, Baron (E, 1629 - 1748)
Creation: let.pat. 2 Apr 1629
Extinct: 8 Mar 1747/8
Family name: Herbert
See Marquess of Powis
William [Herbert], 1st Baron Powis
1st son and heir of Hon Sir Edward Herbert, of Powis Castle, co. Montgomery (by his wife Mary Stanley, dau. and hrss. of Thomas Stanley, of Standon, co. Hertford, Master of the Mint), 2nd son of William [Herbert], 1st Earl of Pembroke, by his first wife Anne Parr, sister of Katherine Parr, sixth wife of King Henry VIII, and also sister and in her issue sole hrss. of William [Parr], 1st Marquess of Northampton, and 2nd dau. of Sir Thomas Parr, of Kendal, co. Westmorland
bef. 1600 Lady Eleanor Percy (d. 24 Dec 1650), 3rd dau. of Henry [Percy], 2nd Earl of Northumberland, by his wife and cousin Hon Catherine Nevill, 1st dau. and cohrss. of John [Nevill], 4th Baron Latymer
1. Hon Percy Herbert, later 2nd Baron Powis
1. Hon Katherine Herbert, mar. (1) Sir Robert Vaughan, of Lydiard, co. Montgomery, and (2) as his second wife Sir James Palmer, of Dorney Court, co. Buckingham, Chancellor of the Order of the Garter, and had issue by her second husband
2. Hon Lucy Herbert, mar. William Abington, of Hinlop, co. Worcester
7 Mar 1655/6
2 Apr 1629 Baron Powis, of Powis in the County of Montgomery
Member of Parliament for Montgomeryshire 1597-98, 1604-11, 1614, 1621-22 and 1624-29; Knight of the Bath 1603; Councillor of Wales 1608 and 1633; Sheriff of Montgomeryshire 1613; Constable of Radnor Castle and Steward of Radnor 1631
Percy [Herbert], 2nd Baron Powis
19 Nov 1622 Elizabeth Craven (bapt. 7 Jan 1599/1600; d. 8 Oct 1662), sister and in her issue cohrss. of William [Craven], 1st Earl of Craven, and 1st surv. dau. of Sir William Craven, Lord Mayor of London 1610-11, by his wife Elizabeth Whitmore, sister of Sir George Whitmore, Lord Mayor of London, and dau. of William Whitmore
1. Hon William Herbert, later 3rd Baron Powis later 1st Earl of Powis later 1st Marquess of Powis
1. Hon Mary Herbert (bapt. 10 Oct 1623; d. aft. 16 Jan 1662/3), mar. Jun 1639 Hon George Talbot, styled Lord Talbot (dvp. and spm. Mar 1644), 1st son and heir ap. by his first wife of John [Talbot], 10th Earl of Shrewsbury, and had issue
19 Jan 1666/7
v.p. 16 Nov 1622 Baronet of England, styled "of Redcastle in the County of Montgomery"
Member of Parliament for Shaftesbury 1621-22 and for Wilton 1624-25; knighted 1622; Councillor of Wales 1633
William [Herbert], 3rd Baron Powis later 1st Earl of Powis later 1st Marquess of Powis
4 April 1674 Earl of Powis, of Powis in the County of Montgomery
24 Mar 1686/7 Viscount Montgomery, of the Town of Montgomery, and Marquess of Powis
The Barony of Powis was held by the Earls of Powis (Marquesses of Powis from 24 Mar 1686/7) from 4 Apr 1674 until 8 Mar 1747/8, when on the death of William [Herbert], 3rd Marquess of Powis, 5th Baron Powis, etc., all his titles became extinct.
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.